Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Half - shaft axle boots

I noticed 1 ( so far ) of my half shaft boots is split on my new to me Brat . Can you get the boots and clamps reasonable anywhere ? I see rebuilt shafts for 60 some bucks several places online ... ( dont know the quality tho ) but mine arent really clicking or noisy just split open . A good cleaning and regrease with boots would probably do her up l. Dont know if its cost effective though ..... what do you guys generally do when comes time to service the axles ? Replace or repair ?

If boots are available cheap I think I'll just pull all four and do 'em all at once ... then I'll know its ready for the back roads

Thanks ,

Bob

Edited by clunkerbob

Replace.. Doing boots became cost inefficient about 10 years ago. I had to sit down and do all the math with a customer at work not too long ago explaining to him that its cheaper to just replace the entire Cv Axle, than it was to replace both boots. Not to mention he didnt know how long he drove with the boots ripped (they werent clicking yet) but that doesnt meant that mud/gravel etc hadnt got up inside the joint and started to wear on it.

Another great thing about replacing the axles is lifetime warranty!! I have two sets of fronts for my car (Napa brand, we have to ship EMPI axles up from the states and get raped on the shipping) So I drive one set til they snap or click, pull them out destroy the boots and put my new set in. ship off the "broken" set and get them warranteed

It is likely the grease is already contaminated and the axles won't last even if you replace the boots.

If they are cleaned out properly before the boots are installed, and new grease applied they would probably last a good long time. Most axle "failures" that I've seen were either catostrophic (usually with good boots), or they just start making noise - which generally means they are running more-or-less dry. Clean out the joints, replace the grease and boots, and they typically last many thousands of miles farther. If the grease is good and the boot intact, you won't hear the axle till it eats itself and you lose power.

Unfortunately doing it the right way like that is actually MORE work than just replacing the whole axle with a new one and with the new one you don't have to get greasy, you get a warantee generally, and you know there's no contamination in the joints. And it's only marginally more expensive. The choice is obvious given the availibility of axles.

GD