Ultimate Subaru Message Board

really high idle, ECT?

hey everybody,

car: '86 GL-10 Wagon/5 speed/fuel injected.

problem:

The car is idling really high when cold. it has been up to 2300rpm. i know a high idle when cold isn't really uncommon but this seems crazy. Also, a few times, when sitting at a light in neutral, the car will rev up and down as high as 2500rpm down to around 1000rpm. And it won't stop until I put it into first and drive.

I've done some searching on the forum and mostly found vac leaks or the coolant temperature sensor is going. I'm going to have some time to work on this on wednesday so I was wondering if anybody has any other thoughts?

The only thing I've done to the car recently is an oil change and I put in a new fuel filter.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by mjcee

GL-10... turbo or non turbo? IIRC in 86 they only made a turbo GL-10 (from what I've seen up here in Alaska. havent seen a non turbo GL-10 MY85, MY86.)

you could have an Idle Air controller on the fritz also. They act and a choke/high idler for a fuel injection system.

Is there a gasket under the idle air controller that I should replace in the process?

It's probably a GL-10 2WD 5 speed - that would be the first model/year for SPFI.

Clean the idle air controller, and check the resistance of the CTS for starters.

GD