Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New clutch = very scary!!

Ohkay, I broke down and bought a new clutch for the Brat. Got it in today. That was a thrilling experience, there is a lot to be said about building an exhaust system in a car, without removing anything. I couldn't get the exhaust off without dropping the x-members. I have it wrapped in/around/through the engine, suspension, and tranny crossmembers, and when I built it, didn't really thing about how to get it out of there!!

Anyways. I get the new clutch in it, and am bringing it home from the shop. Everything feels fine in the parking lot, way better than the old one, which was hitting the rivets on the clutch disc, it was so worn out. Hold way tight, burped the throttle a couple times and brought the nose way in the air!!

I pull out onto the highway, 1st gear, hit 4K shift, 2nd gear, hit 4K and go to shift again, but this time I glance at the speedo before I do so:

IN SECOND GEAR AT 4000 RPM I'M DOING 45MPH!!!!

I'm in a 45 to begin with, and was getting ready to hit 3rd and take it up to 4 before hitting 4th, as I usually do in the same spot. Thats how much the clutch was slipping!! OMG, it's pretty insane. If I lauch it, it picks up the drivers side quite a bit, and usually chirps the tires if the asphalt is smooth enough. It's absolutely amazing. I think I was prolly losing around 50-60 horse from the slipping clutch!! WOW, I can't wait to try her out off road!!

So remember kiddies, a new clutch makes a happy car!!

Sounds like a 4 speed. The Brat did that before with the 4 and 4, but now, it gets up there real quick, I mean REAL &*%$! Quick. I think I'm gonna take it out to the drag strip this summer and check the numbers. Last night, I blew the doors off some ricer that was messin with me at a light, it was ridiculous!!!