Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 OUtback w/ Bad Catalytic Converter

I have an '03 Outback that needs a new caty and O2 sensors. I have had a detailed diagnostic run by two different places and this is the consensus. I'm being told both by Subaru and by my independent mechanic that I have to buy the new caty from Subaru because the computer in my car won't read a caty not made by Subaru. This sounds insane to me and I'm trying to figure out how NOT to spend $1500 to replace all this. Does anyone know of a less expensive caty and/or sensors that would work? And, am I right to think that parts not made by Subaru will work just fine?

Thanks

Warranty replacement is the way to go, if your car still qualifies on millage.

If not, at http://www.Autohausaz.com, they are selling a Bosal cat, part number WO133-1842851 on sale for $366.44, that fits your 03. Their ad says that the Bosal unit replaces both the front and rear cats. Bosal is a good name in exhaust products, so I would trust their product. I am confident that it would perform well on your car.

I am with you, it is insanity to spend $1,500 on a dealer cat. Lots of profit in that high figure.

subarupartsforyou.com lists the OE cat at $800 (discounted), and an un-named aftermarket for $500.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm considering getting a used cat with less than 80k, maybe I'll get lucky. I'm not 100% sure, but any 00-04 2.5L (4cyl, non-turbo) cat should fit, including legacy, outback, and impreza...

[...] If not, at www.Autohausaz.com, they are selling a Bosal cat, part number WO133-1842851 on sale for $366.44, that fits your 03. Their ad says that the Bosal unit replaces both the front and rear cats. Bosal is a good name in exhaust products, so I would trust their product. I am confident that it would perform well on your car.[...]

Back in 2003, Subaru was saying Bosal = OEM. See bottom of page 19 (not marked in PDF, but between 18 and 20 :) ) of http://www.endwrench.com/current/winter02-03/EngineRepair.pdf .