Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 34 troubles - please help!

Guest heartless500

Guest heartless500

Hi gang...this is actuall heartless...having some issues getting reverifid after changing my email addy...had to register as a new user to be able to post......

Having a problem with my 89 GL wagon - spfi ea82 -

Ran fine on thursday, ran errands etc, no problem, came home parked the car.....Friday it wont start.

Turns over fine, getting plenty of gas (maybe even to much?) good spark...

checked for trouble code in ECU - if I am reading this thing right I am getting a code 34 - EGR solenoid - this learned after doing some searchng...

code is 1 long/pause/1 long/pause/1 long/pause/4 short -

Some of the posts I found in my search talk about cleaning the EGR valve, but nothing specific about how to find/remove/etc...I do know it is next to the throttle body, but not sure what exactly I am looking for - is it the part with the four wire connector going into it?? sits on the right side of the throttle body as you are looking at engine?

Also, is this something I can get from an aftermarket auto parts (car quest, advance, etc) if I need to replace??? we DO NOT have a dealer anywhere nearby and I really need to get this thing up and running again and VERY soon! Hard to go Job hunting when you have no vehicle!

might add that it has been very cold here recently - below zero temps + wind chill - would this have any effect on my situation????

Please help ASAP!!!!

Thanks gang!

Heartless

JoAnne, the code you got is for the EGR solenoid not the valve. This is a very very common problem but will not cause a no start.

Check the coolant sensor connections (it's a pig tail coming off of the goose neck)

If you want to test this theory, lift the intake plenum and shoot a small amount of starting fluid in the throttle body. If it fires the ECU does not know the engine is cold and is not fattening the mixture.

Hope this helps.

Guest heartless500

Skip - Thanks for the reply. Tried the starting fluid thing, no luck...did not run. also had to hook the charger up on the battery, she was starting to get a little weak from repeated cranking on it over the last couple of days.

The coolant sensor on my car is about 2/3rds of way down the right side of my radiator...no where near the gooseneck...and connection looks good, no corrosion or anything. Took a couple minutes of hunting to find the darn thing!

Still showing the same code in the ECU - this is with out hooking any test connectors up....

So what next guys???

the sensor on the radiator is a temperature switch that turns the fan on and off. the temp sensor is located on the intake manifold near the thermostat.

Now since it dose not start with starting fluid, I would imaginion that it's an ignition problem. Now you did say that you had good spark. Did you test it at the coil wire or at the different plug wires? Sometimes, a small hole or crack will develope on the rotor that allows the ignition current to ground out in the distributor instead of going out to the plugs.

tested spark at the individual plugs...good strong blue spark - got my finger a little too close to one of the plugs and got bit, but good!! :eek::D so I dont think the problem is with that - altho, I have been wrong before....

What next?

And, yes - my real account is working again!!!! :banana::headbang:

Thank You John C.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second what Craig says on all counts.

Pull the plugs, are they wet with gas??

if not, more gas in the throttle body with a good battery -

good spark

good battery

- gas and

no fire in the hole =

Ig timing is off due to a jumped drivers side T belt.

Comp test or timing light will prove/disprove this.

JMLBG

(Just My Lame Brain Guess).

By the way, follow the rubber tube connected to EGR valve

back to the solenoid, flex the wires right at the solenoid.

What happens?

Louis has a fix if this is it.

By the way, follow the rubber tube connected to EGR valve........

um, skip...can you get a little more specific here...I am not sure what or where you are talking about????? call me an idiot, but picture would be extremely helpful....please?

there a several rubber tubes around the throttle body area, some connected to it, others to the plenum...etc....I have NO experience with this stuff! 'splian it like you are trying to 'splain it to a non sube person....;) it is hard for me to visualize sometimes...

Also, can you give more detail on the timing light thing...have no way of doing compression check, but do have a timing light...how do i set up the light to prove/disprove a jumped belt???????

Thanks in advance...