Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lsd test

I just got myself a lsd out of an 88 Fulltime GL10 and was wondering what i can do to test it and make sure that the clutches inside are good before i put the whole diff in. I was also wondering what type of fluid all of you LSD users are using. I know that wellbourne additive is good at making old chevy posi's run real smooth.

I always use Kendall LSD fluid. There are procedures listed in the FSM. I can look them up but it'll be a day or two. How many miles on the donor? Chances are that it is fine. It only takes about 20 minutes to install if the rear axles cooperate and come off without a fight. What are you putting it into?

It came out of an 88 with 180k on it. I'm putting it in my 87 GL10 wagon. it may be a junkyard piece because there are yellow paint markings on it. Anyway, I cleaned it up, no leaks in the side seals. Both half shafts spin at same speed when done by hand. Everything is queit when it spins. Seems in pretty good shape but i just wanted to make sure it was before a started taking things apart.

Originally posted by Snowman

Be advised that the gear ratio on the lsd unit is probably 3.7:1, whereas the gear ratio in your car is probably 3.9:1, meaning that you have to use the gears from your diff.

The LSD is 3.7

His car is probably not 3.9.. being an 87 GL-10 turbo, I can't see why it would have a 3.9.....

On how to test your LSD, go to Google and type in Datsun 510 Subaru LSD, I remember seeing a page on how to test the clutch breakaway point(i.e. the factory setting around 45lb/ft??) How I tested mine? In the snow rev to 3 grand and drop the clutch and see how it hooks up. I used Kendall brand for LSDs, seems to be an affordable choice here.(Versus the Redline stuff)--Brian