Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sound System

be sure you get a short stereo, its not single din. It won't go all the way in to the dash, it just hits the ducting/crap behind it. You will get a good 1" to 1 1/2" of hang out. As far as wiring, the speakers are twisted in pairs on my car from the factory, but the wiring was junk after a stereo was ganked by some crackhead so i rewired it. With a test light, find your 12+(bat) 12+(switched) and ground, power it up and start hooking wires up in different combos. That's what I did

BE SURE TO VERIFY NONE OF THE WIRES YOU ARE HOOKING UP TO THE SPEAKER OUTPUTS ARE 12V+

my speakers were junk. probably could use to be replaced

i use www.the12volt.com for most of my ????? installations. I'd say in my experience they are probably 90% right. I'd defiantly use it as a guideline only though. as you dont want to fry your components. use a dmm or a probe light.

the12volt is also good for alarm/keyless/remote start

another decent site for wiring for alarms and keyless/remote start only is http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiringsearch.asp

-justin

All EA series cars have common ground speaker systems. The common ground splits off at the driver's side and passenger's side kick-panels because that's where the connector is for the door speakers and/or dash speakers. You fish out that connector (usually pink), disconnect it, and run a new speaker wire to the door/dash speakers and use the existing car wireing for the rear's. It's actually quite simple.

GD

So i got it all to work, just the fact that i need new speakers cuz the stock ones are complete crap, my dash lights went out completely, did i pop a fuse or is there a wiring component that needs to be hooked up from where all the stereo plugs are? it may just be coincidence but i think it is something more.... Am i missing a plug that i didnt put back?

one of the fuses blew. What do u mean "adjusting wires"? You most likely have a bare wire somewhere up there and grounded it out. Check your fuses. Im sure the one for accessories or interior lighting fuses is blown. Dont bother replacing it until you fix the reason it blew otherwise you will continue to fix the same blown fuse.

Most likely accessories fuse. I dont have a electrical book in front of me but it will most likely be a 20 or above. They should all be marked on the cover of the fuse box as to what they do. Just pull ones out till you find the one that blew. As i already said though thats not your problem. That fuse just kept you from having a bigger problem.