Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '96 legacy LS, and just got a deal on a double DIN navigaton touchscreen. Here is the website.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems/ci.AVIC-F700BT.Support

I can't get a clear answer whether or not it will fit in the car. It sure looks like it will, and pioneer says it will, but not Crutchfield.

Anyone have a large unit like this in their car? Any problems getting it to fit?

Just been playing with it for one evening. Barely begun to figure it out, lotsa features.

So far, I like it. Note there is a firmware update for it on the Pioneer website. Without that update, the unit was extremely slow, and would take a minute and a half to fully boot up when you started the car. With the update, the boot process takes more like 30 seconds now, and the unit just works better. The process is explained pretty well on the Pioneer website & is easy to do.

I paid $300 for it off of Craigslist. It was used for about 9 months by the previous owner, and removed because she wanted something that would play DVD's.

Installation was a snap. I had a subaru wiring harness adaptor. Start to finish (including completely updating the unit) took about 3 hours.

I have a '96 legacy LS, and just got a deal on a double DIN navigaton touchscreen. Here is the website.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems/ci.AVIC-F700BT.Support

I can't get a clear answer whether or not it will fit in the car. It sure looks like it will, and pioneer says it will, but not Crutchfield.

Anyone have a large unit like this in their car? Any problems getting it to fit?

haha crutchfield said the same for my 95 legacy.. I figured it would fit but for the time being just stuck my Alpine in for now.

Crutchfield often says that some units won't fit a vehicle even if they will. They have a pretty high standard of quality when it comes to installation. They take a lot of measurements in the car and estimate what should fit based on those measurements and add a little extra room for wires and such to fit behind it. If it doesn't fall within the amount of estimated space, they'll say it won't fit.

They do the same thing with speakers too.