Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for an ECM to borrow!

Guest alia176

I'm desperately trying to figure out why the car shudders and stalls. The timing is a bit off and I can hear a slight pinging under accel. The cam and crank shaft sensors were replaced under recall so I'm left with the Igniter, coil and the ECM. The first two diagnosed ok using the shop manual. If anyone has an ECM I can borrow just to help pinpoint this bugger of a problem, I'd be greatly appreciative. I'll pay for all shipping both ways. Unless of course I can just find an used ECM for dirt cheap!

Thanks very much.

Ali

'95 Legacy Wagon

Chicagoland area

Guest Cougar4

Before replacing the ECU I would check for vacuum problems or something going on with the MAP sensor. Did you check for any stored codes on this?

Glen

Guest alia176

Glen,

The car didn't have any stored fault . However, that's a good suggestion on the vacuum issue. I suspected the problem is electectrical due to the fact that after the engine dies, it starts right up and goes for weeks/months without missing a beat. A vacuum leak should be persistant I'd think. However, the MAP sensor issue pops up quite a bit on this board so that's a good possiblity too.

Ali

Guest scoobtech

I have a good used ecm for that year legacy . Let me know specifics . part # , manual or at , wheel size , etc . I will sell dirt cheap . ;)

Guest Cougar4

Another thing you may want to check is the fuel pump. It may be intermitant, but since the engine starts right up after it happens it may be hard to prove. It would be nice to have a pressure sensor in line to monitor the pressure while driving.

The injector or connection to it is another possibility.

Glen