Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Looking for an ECM to borrow!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alia176_*

Guest_alia176_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2003 - 07:03 AM

I'm desperately trying to figure out why the car shudders and stalls. The timing is a bit off and I can hear a slight pinging under accel. The cam and crank shaft sensors were replaced under recall so I'm left with the Igniter, coil and the ECM. The first two diagnosed ok using the shop manual. If anyone has an ECM I can borrow just to help pinpoint this bugger of a problem, I'd be greatly appreciative. I'll pay for all shipping both ways. Unless of course I can just find an used ECM for dirt cheap!

Thanks very much.

Ali
'95 Legacy Wagon
Chicagoland area

#2 Guest_Cougar4_*

Guest_Cougar4_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2003 - 12:43 PM

Before replacing the ECU I would check for vacuum problems or something going on with the MAP sensor. Did you check for any stored codes on this?

Glen

#3 Guest_alia176_*

Guest_alia176_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2003 - 02:31 PM

Glen,

The car didn't have any stored fault . However, that's a good suggestion on the vacuum issue. I suspected the problem is electectrical due to the fact that after the engine dies, it starts right up and goes for weeks/months without missing a beat. A vacuum leak should be persistant I'd think. However, the MAP sensor issue pops up quite a bit on this board so that's a good possiblity too.

Ali

#4 Guest_scoobtech_*

Guest_scoobtech_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:57 PM

I have a good used ecm for that year legacy . Let me know specifics . part # , manual or at , wheel size , etc . I will sell dirt cheap . ;)

#5 Guest_Cougar4_*

Guest_Cougar4_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:20 PM

Another thing you may want to check is the fuel pump. It may be intermitant, but since the engine starts right up after it happens it may be hard to prove. It would be nice to have a pressure sensor in line to monitor the pressure while driving.

The injector or connection to it is another possibility.

Glen

#6 Guest_alia176_*

Guest_alia176_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:27 AM

Scoobtech,

I'll get the ecm p/n for you and the VIN too.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users