Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cabin air filter question 2000

looked again , no cabin filter in my 2000 legacy , kinda strange i guess it was a option

Do you have the place for one, or is the filter itself just missing? I think the location is there, just the filter is missing.

Edited by valvestem

I have a 2000 and 2001 Outback Wagon. Both have "slot" in the blower housing behind the glove compartment for a cabin air filter. My understanding was that at least for the 00 and 01 model years the cabin air filter was an option. I was going to add the filters to my car, but they seemed quite expensive at the dealer. I seem to remember something like $35.00 each

It couldn't hurt to pop on in there even if you don't have one from the factory..after all it is the air your breathing..lol.....the dealer charges OUTRAGEOUS prices for the cabin filters...they can be had on ebay for a couple dollars..I think the going current price for ours is like $37.00..absolutely crazy for a paper element...

my baja didn't come with one but there is a spot for it. I installed mine and I have to say it picks up an amazing amount of dirt. Highly recommended...and yes the price from the dealer is nuts! (mine was $39 but I had sube bucks)

I would like to put one in Forester as well; can I ask the details of how you installed yours?

well they make it sound like it is a kit. It is not. If your vehicle has provisions for it then the "kit" is just (in my case) 2 filters. I'm not sure how to put one in a Forester and I'm not sure if it is any different then my Baja but it is a little frustrating b/c you have to take the glovebox out and there are in my case like 8 different screws to take out. What a PIA. I will say that every filter comes with a sticker to put somewhere to tell you when to replace it and it comes with INSTRUCTIONS. Thank God for the instructions :banghead: The more you do it the better you get at it and if you have a cordelss screwdriver get it charged up cause that will save you a lot of BS (of course I don't have one worth a snot) :lol:

I would like to put one in Forester as well; can I ask the details of how you installed yours?

what year is your forester? the forester cabin air filters are by far the easiest to do...7 screws and the glove box should be out.... I dread doing CB air filters on some of the Tribecas...

what year is your forester? the forester cabin air filters are by far the easiest to do...7 screws and the glove box should be out.... I dread doing CB air filters on some of the Tribecas...

Thanks for the pointers! My '99 might have been an option, as I don't think it has them and I have had the glove box out for other reasons before.

I will check when it warms up enough to do so.

Thanks for the pointers! My '99 might have been an option, as I don't think it has them and I have had the glove box out for other reasons before.

I will check when it warms up enough to do so.

Keep looking, I saw a post somewhere that the filter access on some Subies is hidden by a drop down cloth held by velcro tabs, if that help, it was behind the glovebox for access as well.

• 2 years later...

Just had a phone call where someone was asking how/where the filter is.

Remove the glovebox. Its pretty obvious once you open it remove the 6 or so screws and pull it and its rear surround out.

Now you have the blower motor, resistor, and such exposed. The filter goes behind the plastic that the resistor block is screwed into and the panel has 4 clips that you can pop off into your eyeball with a pocket screwdriver. Clips are shown in the photo.

Then the plastic can slide down 1/4" or so and you can pull on the resistor plug in to get the whole thing to come off. Now grab the lower filter followed by the upper filter.

MSRP on the filter kit is $39.95. I have them here for $24.88 from an OEM supplier. These have the plastic pieces. Some people have had success in using furnace type filter media and installing it into the original plastics if your car has the filter "kit" already.

IMAG1565.jpg

IMAG1566.jpg

IMAG1567.jpg