Ultimate Subaru Message Board

waterproof the disty

Markus56

Does anyone know a good way to do this? I had a close call in a chevy LUV today farting around in some oversized puddles (read: the carpet got soaked). I want to swap an EA-81 into my '85 wagon and i am trying to figure out how to keep the disty from getting wet when it is mounted on the front of the motor.

Also try to find the plastic shield that goes in front of the disty/carb on the EA81's. I have done nothing to my disty to waterproof it. And have been in water over the hood several times. Usually the crossings are about 2 car lengths. But that factory shield plus keeping the right speed to create the proper wake (not too fast, not too slow) has always had me driving out the other side. The water that comes in through the dash vents is another story.... :rolleyes:

But I've gotten lucky. Intake snorkle and disty waterproofing is on the list.

I like the rubber glove idea. :)

I am thinking along the lines of an upside down coffee can with holes in the plastic lid so you can take it off.

cut a straight line and make a hole in the middle for the bottom of the lid for the distributor and the route the spark plug wires and zip tie them to the base of the disty. then silicone the **** out of the lid to seal it off and snap the can into place with duct tape or something for security.

you would probably need longer spark plug wires though