Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 99 subaru legacy GT 2.5 with a JDM motor from off ebay has 35,xxx on the motor

mods:complete straight pipe with borla exhaust headers, 3inch wide racing tip, stage 2 racing clutch, cosmo’s cold air intake and lowered springs

i have replaced the water pump, thermostat and radiator and the *************** still overheats, now the shop thinks it my exhaust system or my cold air intake, which i think its bull************ there cause they also told my mom that i put over 900 miles on it in 2 weeks since i last got it which is bull************ cause im on house arrest and i only use the car twice a week for probation and class which is under 50 miles a week? its been in the shop 3 times, first time they replaced the water pump and thermostat, second time they couldnt find anything wrong, 3rd time they replace the radiator so tuesday makin my weeky stop at probation the car overheats AGAIN, so i pulled over, checked everything water fan, waited for it to cool down added some water, then took off not even a mile later it got hot again, pulled over called mom and all that fun ************, i see smoke coming out from under the hood, so i looked and the water seem to burst out of the overflow thing. so ANY idea what would be causing this ?

the head gaskets are also new, i changed all the gasket and seals before putting the motor back in the car so i wouldnt have to do it down the road. it doesnt have water in the oil.

im ************ed at the moment i really need my car bad. i have put ALOT towards the car to give up on it now

video to my car

You must use a OE thermostat in a subaru, and no other.

replace the cap too since the car is old enough for it to be tired.

There is a method to filling up the cooling system, otherwise it can cause over heating by trapping air.

Remove the cap and open the radiator vent screw.

Start the car (even if the system has been drained).

SLOWLY fillup the cooling system. The slower the better. Use a pre-mix.

Wait for the thermostat to open. There will be a surge of fluid at the radiator neck. Let the fluid settle down and start filling again.

Close the vent, cap the raditor, and have someone drive the car around the block, and have them watch the engine temp.

Let the car cool down and check the fluid level.

If more fluid is needed add it with the car running and the engine hot.

Make sure the overflow is properly filled. Most shops don't take the time to do this porperly.

If this doesnt work there may be a HG issue.

Good Luck.

nipper