Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug swap

yep i know youre all sick and tired of the 5 lug swap questions but i have another. AND YES i have searched the archives so no need for rude comments. Ok what are the exact parts needed to do this conversion? im talkin front and back. And what is the over all average cost saying i got all my parts from a junk yard?

mike

Ah Sir Xforxlifex, I did a small search (please excuse me I didn't know we had archives)

But I turned up this that may be of some help.

The junk yard you pick will kinda dictate what you pay.

So with further ado or smart remarks

Hope this helps and

Thanks to Tex and especially Corky

5 lug conversion

Originally posted by Skip

Ah Sir Xforxlifex, I did a small search (please excuse me I didn't know we had archives)

But I turned up this that may be of some help.

The junk yard you pick will kinda dictate what you pay.

So with further ado or smart remarks

Hope this helps and

Thanks to Tex and especially Corky

5 lug conversion

Well, that didnt work but i did find what you meant to post.

thanks i guess.

Originally posted by calebz

Hmm.. worked fine for me..

Heres another to supplement the above info.. a few questions are answered.

More 5 lug stuff

You might want to have someone look at your computer for you.. links aren't working.. search is broken...;)

Give me some credit.. I'm really trying not to be a smartass

Well my computer is a piece of crap... i dont know why that link didnt work. the search is fine im just stupid and totally missed that. thanks.

i got all the parts for my conversion, and i am going to see if legacy axles will work.

i also want to see if the xt6 caliper will boly up to the legacy knuckle, and to see if an ea82ball joint will fit in either the xt or the legacy knuckle

my ultimate plan is to see if a 23 spline doj from a turbo axle will fit on a legacy 2wd axle, for use with a 23 spline tranny.

I know the XT6 caliper bolts to the Impreza knuckle, I'm pretty sure the Legacy knuckle is pretty much the same.

Fox, the turbo axles have 25 splines. The Impreza axles also has 25 spline, and I'm pretty sure that the Legacy does two. Not sure about the 2WD Legacy though.

It is kind of hard to discribe the differences, but the XT6 bearing surfaces is narrower then the Impreza or Legacy. If it had been the way to go, why did Subaru change it first on the Legacy, then on the Impreza?? They are a single narrow surface, the EA82 had two bearing and supported the weight better. The Imprezas and Legacys have much wider bearing, therefore transfering the weight more evenly. The only XT6 parts that I'll use on any future 5 bolt conversions are the front lower arm, the brake calipers, front and rear, the rear brake disc, the rear brake backing plate, and the rear axle hub, everything else will be Impreza.

Sorry about your lap top and my web page.

john, i will be using 2wd legacy struts, i would like to see if the legacy axles will fit the xt6 hub. i wonder if the xt6 strut has the ea82 bearing on a legacy/impreza cap? i will consider using the legacy's if the holes dont have to be reamed too much, i would like it to have the ability to go back to stick parts if necessary(cause the parts will later go into tw5 when i get it back here before too long)

CORKY, josh's 2wd impreza has a 25 spline, 5spd

as far as doj swap, i kno there are 23 spline TURBO doj (3at turbo)that is the same diameter as the 25spline rx and 5spd doj.

i am hoping that a 2wd legacy axle is the same diameter, i have a 25 spline doj to play with, but not a 23

also, a 2wd axle is skinnier than a turbo axle, but i have put a 25 spline turbo doj on a 2wd axle, some slop, but it worked till the other axle went out.

Fox, the XT6 and Legacy, as well as the Impreza are nothing like the EA82 series front knuckle. The EA82 bearings will not fit any of them, the axles are totally different at the outboard ends. There are so many turbo sedans out there that is should be easy to find a turbo tranny wor an EA82 with 25 spline stub axles, why mess with changing the DOJ.

so..If impreza and legacy knuckles are the same and they bolt to xt6 caliper, that means that impreza/legacy brakes can be used and, following on that, sti brembo four piston brake calipers and sti discs are possible on our cars..only thing is rear e-brake...now I'm thinking that with minor mods and rerouting our e-brake cables 2 the back toyota rear calipers will work as the e-brake mechanism is similar to our front e-brake. If anyone can tell me the bolt spacing for the rear caliper torque plate I can tell you if this could be a direct mount, or if any adapting needs to be done..since I lack rear discs myself but have plenty of access to toyota setups..

sorry corky, i should have been more specific, i was responding about the bearings in the strut cap, not the knuckle.

its blatantly obvious there is a difference in ea and xt6 parts. cause i have them all in a pile on the floor waiting to go in my car!!

i would spend 100 bucks on xt6 parts, and 200 bucks on a legacy(for the struts, axle) for parts that wont fit!!!!

for a little bit i am going to be sportin a mix and match, 5 lug rear(to replace my bent trailing arm), and 4lug front, until i can make room to park the leganus and the trashwagon side by side for the front swap, and tranny swap, the motor will get cleaned up and the leak fixed, better carb, till i get a turbo motor(87 gl-10 turbo with carbbed spfi motor)

hopefully i can figure up something new that hasnt been tried yet, the 23 spline idea would let you do this to non turbo 5spds and dual ranges, ultimately for ea81 vehicles such as the TrashWagon 5 (full ea82 motor/driveline and suspension 2wd to 4wd conversion)

Gee, it is funny that you should mention a Toyota rear disc set-up. I found that the rear disc set-up on an early Supra is very close to the same diameter as the Subaru, and it uses the backing plate to support the caliper. I was planning to redrill the backing plate to match a Subaru backing plate and see if that will work. I have the complete set-up, from the brake handle back. I was going to toy with this went I do the 5 bolt conversion on my 86 sedan when the weather gets a little more cooperative. This would allow us to use the Impreza up-grades for the front brakes.

these statements are extremely befuddling??

Donald says

"its blatantly obvious there is a difference in ea and xt6 parts. cause i have them all in a pile on the floor waiting to go in my car!!

"??

What may be "blatantly obvious" to a guy with a "pile of parts" is not so obvious to us less fortunate. Thanks for your consideration!

and I don't get this statement at all

"i would spend 100 bucks on xt6 parts, and 200 bucks on a legacy(for the struts, axle) for parts that wont fit!!!!"

Why would you do this?? Spend 300 bucks for parts that don't fit?

Sorry this makes no sense, maybe the "Preview Reply" feature doesn't work on your computer??

Or he has more $$ to burn (did I say burn) than he lets on to??

Originally posted by silvershad0w

Over in my post for used XT6 struts, Tex replied he used 2.5 Impreza RS struts, with the stock RX springs and strut cap, which means KYB's GR-2 and AGX woohoo! I got get details thou, I dunno if 2wd/4wd makes a difference on the Impreza struts, and then I'll be set :)

The Impreza/Legacy struts are only different on the rear for FWD vs AWD. Since the rear suspension is different anyway (thus you can only use the front Impreza struts), it shouldn't matter which drivetrain the donor Impreza had...and yes, the Imprezas and Legacies (at least the GC/GM/GF Impreza (93-01) and the late 90s Legacy anyway) use the exact same type struts front and rear and are completely interchangeable.

I've heard from Dale Teague (http://www.boxer4racing.com) on several occasions that Impreza/Legacy strut/spring setups are a popular swap for XT6 owners who want to dump the air suspension. (Not sure what they use for the rear, though!? I'll email him today and ask.)

Originally posted by Dr. RX

The only XT6 parts that I'll use on any future 5 bolt conversions are the front lower arm, the brake calipers, front and rear, the rear brake disc, the rear brake backing plate, and the rear axle hub, everything else will be Impreza.

Does this mean the Impreza front discs work? That could be very promising for aftermarket Impreza parts swaps if Impreza calipers could be made to fit, as well.

I like all this talk of Impreza parts on EA-series Subarus...I've got my stock 2.5RS suspension at home just begging to be put on a lighter car... :D