Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ/EA Power Steering?

jrettenmayer

I ran my EJ w/o having my PS pump hooked up for about a week and it did not hurt it a bit. If I understand you correctly you don't have PS. So you can either,

A: Put the ej pump on and just don't hook it up and run the stock belt. Don't put any fluid in :grin:

B: Take a string and tie it around your alt and crank and then go into the parts store and get a belt that will fit. Make sure you get the right size and rib count.

C: Convert it to PS like I did my original non PS car. It was real easy. I just got an EA power rack, bolted it in, ran som EJ lines and voila. I had to do a bit of punding and bending to get the lines to fit and curve around right and avoid my exaust but it works.

Hi This is Jerry, if you look at this years show pictures my hatchbrat has an EJ2.2 in it and runs without power steering. What i did was cut the old belt rap it around the bolth pullies and cut the belt to fit. I then took the belt to napa and ask them i need a belt this long and they had a belt. Thanks Jerry

On my old ford some PO had plumbed the PS to itself, like a loop and kept it full of fluid and it didn't do a thing, but would still work if I had found the PS rack. (It, being a old 66'ford, needed a bendex?sp. box ran $300 used before $400-$700remanning.)

On my old ford some PO had plumbed the PS to itself' date=' like a loop and kept it full of fluid and it didn't do a thing, but would still work if I had found the PS rack. (It, being a old 66'ford, needed a bendex?sp. box ran $300 used before $400-$700remanning.)[/quote']

I've done that very same thing on a couple of different vehicles.

• 2 years later...
Anyone have any experience putting an EJ into and EA without power steering? I basically just want to know if anyone knows off hand what belt I could use to just drive the alternator? Part numbers?

I have a PS pump installed, but just looped back to itself. It's just waiting for a rack.

Cleanest option is to use EJ lines from pump to crossmember, and EA lines from crossmember to the rack.