Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ/EA Power Steering?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Anyone have any experience putting an EJ into and EA without power steering? I basically just want to know if anyone knows off hand what belt I could use to just drive the alternator? Part numbers?

#2 Mugs

Mugs

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Spokane & Hobart, Wa.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:58 PM

I ran my EJ w/o having my PS pump hooked up for about a week and it did not hurt it a bit. If I understand you correctly you don't have PS. So you can either,

A: Put the ej pump on and just don't hook it up and run the stock belt. Don't put any fluid in :grin:

B: Take a string and tie it around your alt and crank and then go into the parts store and get a belt that will fit. Make sure you get the right size and rib count.

C: Convert it to PS like I did my original non PS car. It was real easy. I just got an EA power rack, bolted it in, ran som EJ lines and voila. I had to do a bit of punding and bending to get the lines to fit and curve around right and avoid my exaust but it works.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,031 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

the old "measure the string" trick might not work.....I've heard that that's too short to look up on most listings.....

but here's a sweet belt-lookup chart:
http://www.mvreader....BeltsSearch.y=5

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,560 posts
  • WV

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

i've also had the "string method" not work before (too short). i mean it's close....so it ends up being too short and you just get an inch bigger. should get close, but depends how close it is and how much adjustment you have.

#5 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

Well, thanks for the tips. I'd like to find a power steering rack and put it in - just wondered what others have done.

#6 bratsrus1

bratsrus1

Race car

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Selah Washington

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hi This is Jerry, if you look at this years show pictures my hatchbrat has an EJ2.2 in it and runs without power steering. What i did was cut the old belt rap it around the bolth pullies and cut the belt to fit. I then took the belt to napa and ask them i need a belt this long and they had a belt. Thanks Jerry

#7 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

On my old ford some PO had plumbed the PS to itself, like a loop and kept it full of fluid and it didn't do a thing, but would still work if I had found the PS rack. (It, being a old 66'ford, needed a bendex?sp. box ran $300 used before $400-$700remanning.)

#8 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,944 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

You dont want to run the pump without fluid it can seize and break the belt. There should be a belt part number here that I posted in the past.

#9 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

[quote name='Yo'J;868213]On my old ford some PO had plumbed the PS to itself' date=' like a loop and kept it full of fluid and it didn't do a thing, but would still work if I had found the PS rack. (It, being a old 66'ford, needed a bendex?sp. box ran $300 used before $400-$700remanning.)[/QUOTE']

I've done that very same thing on a couple of different vehicles.

#10 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

from my EJ swap thread

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 crockettbrat

crockettbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Crockett

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

I used a napa timing belt part #25-050275 for my swap. Got the info from Numchux. Works great but I want power steering.

Daniel

#12 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,944 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

That one is a 4 rib, the 4pk part, if you can find a 5PK0700 or very close on the end like 690-715 I bet would also work and would be 5 rib belt.

#13 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,944 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

The easy way to look up this belt is use an Alfa Romeo 164 with a 3 liter engine.
Napa NBH 25050275. I stock these, $19.49 ea.

#14 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Anyone have any experience putting an EJ into and EA without power steering? I basically just want to know if anyone knows off hand what belt I could use to just drive the alternator? Part numbers?

I have a PS pump installed, but just looped back to itself. It's just waiting for a rack.

Cleanest option is to use EJ lines from pump to crossmember, and EA lines from crossmember to the rack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users