Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Owners of the 2x4 Gen I Front end protector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

Just like the one on my '78 in my avatar.

Might want to consider drilling a drain hole on the underside of course,near one of the ends.

I noticed my bumper weeping thru a small hole which obviously began on the inside. Drilled an 1/8" hole and watched it pee for a couple of minutes.

Condensation must be the culprit but I haven't looked at the winch mount holes to see if there's a bushing in them....doubt it.

#2 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

Just like the one on my '78 in my avatar.

Might want to consider drilling a drain hole on the underside of course,near one of the ends.

I noticed my bumper weeping thru a small hole which obviously began on the inside. Drilled an 1/8" hole and watched it pee for a couple of minutes.

Condensation must be the culprit but I haven't looked at the winch mount holes to see if there's a bushing in them....doubt it.

I bet the moisture is getting in from the bottom of the winch mount holes. There is a bushing welded in to each hole, BUT they are only welded in at the top, so the bottom is somewhat open. Those bumpers are only 1/8" thick, so you might want to see if you can shoot some Rust Doctor or other rust converter in there, then weld any openings solid, so it will be completely sealed.

-Bill

#3 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Eesh.

I went over mine pretty well when I painted it... but never thought about drilling drain holes, as I assumed it was a sealed unit. :-\

Thanks for the heads up Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users