Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

My impreza rs 2.5 did some crazy thing tonight. I was on my way home going about 80 mph, and notice a clunking noise right under the car in middle. It does this every time at a green light going about 10 mph. Drives fine after that. This sudden jerk kind of fells like something wrong with my trans or diff. Not sure what it is. Also the ATF Oil Light is flashing constantly. So I add some More ATF light goes away. When i got home turned the car off and started it again the Freaking ATF light came back on. I don't know if Trans-X will fix this.

NOT TO SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS??? HELP ME FELLOW SUBIE FRIENDS??

I have replace the duty c 6 months ago AND FLUID.

no that wouldn't cause the ATF light to flash.

a better description would help. like specific stuff. it only does it at 10mph? (you also mentioned driving home at 80?)

here's a really important question:

was the ATF light flashing before this issue happened? or did they occur simultaneously. if they happened at the same time then obviously they are likely related.

All these symptom happened at the same. Just found out that I have a diff dip stick on the passenger side. It was also low.. wow.

Now what kind of fluid would I put in to the diff on the passenger side??? Any thing in particular?? 80 90 gear oil .

Edited by 2000impreza

• 2 weeks later...
If this is an automatic, then don't add 80W90 oil to the transmission.

Correct, You add it to the differential, which uses separate fluid from the transmission, which is what he did.

Bad U joint possibly. That may also make it wobble at higher speeds as well.

Might the trans be shifting into second gear around that speed? Do you accelerate fast?

All u-joints inspected and is good. So I jacked up the whole car and put it in drive to 20 mph. Notice that passenger wheel does not spin. Even giving it a little spin she doesn't spin it's not lock up you can rotate her fine. I am not sure if it is my Transmission or front diff going bad. At 20 mph looking at the cluster gauge it just jump right up to 30 mph at the same acceleration.

Any suggestion to this fix??