Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 to ej18 swap

crazy D

so my motor is bleeding to death from possibly several places. it just wont hold oil. but i just got enought money to just put a new damn motor in the thing because it will be trying to seal it.

my car is a 1990 legacy ls with the 2.2

and the motor im getting is from an auto wrecking yard in town which is a '93-'96 ej18. i guess they lost the paperwork on the motor, but it has good compression.

my question is... is everything just going to hook up? i would like to just do this in a day, but im not sure if there are any suprises in store.

thanks for the imput.

The EJ18 will drop in. I've swapped EJ18, EJ22's, EJ25's...it'll drop right in. Swap long blocks and keep your EJ22 intake manifold. They should both have EGR but i'm not 100% versed on the 90-94 stuff so best to check if emissions matters to you.

EJ18 won't have a knock sensor, but the hole and threads will be there!

It's kind of a silly fix though, a 15+ year old motor is highly likely to leak. It's just a matter of time for old seals, particularly having sat in yard or inoperable vehicle for X years.