Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej22 to ej18 swap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 897 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

so my motor is bleeding to death from possibly several places. it just wont hold oil. but i just got enought money to just put a new damn motor in the thing because it will be trying to seal it.

my car is a 1990 legacy ls with the 2.2

and the motor im getting is from an auto wrecking yard in town which is a '93-'96 ej18. i guess they lost the paperwork on the motor, but it has good compression.

my question is... is everything just going to hook up? i would like to just do this in a day, but im not sure if there are any suprises in store.

thanks for the imput.

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

dude, get a seal kit and just reseal your 2.2

its easier and a whole lot cheaper than trying to make a EJ18 work.

#3 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 897 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

i dont have that much time and i have enough to get the motor. i know i can reseal the motor.

my question was asking if the 18 will just drop in...

thanks...

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,323 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

The EJ18 will drop in. I've swapped EJ18, EJ22's, EJ25's...it'll drop right in. Swap long blocks and keep your EJ22 intake manifold. They should both have EGR but i'm not 100% versed on the 90-94 stuff so best to check if emissions matters to you.

EJ18 won't have a knock sensor, but the hole and threads will be there!

It's kind of a silly fix though, a 15+ year old motor is highly likely to leak. It's just a matter of time for old seals, particularly having sat in yard or inoperable vehicle for X years.

#5 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

dud4e, you can do it in the time it will take you to pull and replace....just reseal it , put anew timing belt and such on it.all for the same price as an entire motor
cheers, brian

#6 cmiller

cmiller

Flat 4

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Tigard, OR

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:32 AM

I agree, a re-seal is way too easy to pass up. You can pull the motor, re-seal it, and drop it back in all within a day, easy, done, no worries.

#7 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

i tried to tell him the same thing when we got the car and i helped him reseal the V/C's at my house, (before i got ripped off) but he didn't wanna listen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users