Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts compatibility between Outback and Forester

Looks like I might be coming into a 2000 forester for a super (free) good (free) deal.

Obviously at that price, it needs a few things.

T-belt service is due

Pass. front wheel bearing needs replacing

Rear differential is bad.

Pass. front CV joint is bad.

I'm wondering about the rear diff and the CV joints. I've got a '96 OBW that is hurtin' in a few ways of it's own. The exhaust, brakes, interior are all in need of serious help, as well as rust that is starting to develop.

The CV axles on my OBW aren't that old and dealer units So i'm wondering if the length, spine count/diameter are the same between the two.

Also, are the diff's the same? I know they are the same ratio (4.11) I'm wondering if everything else is the same?

I'll go with a new wheel bearing, but I'm wondering if my OBW can be an organ doner in those other areas.

Thanks!

Will-

axles are the same. only thing i can think of is axle designed changed around 2000-ish, not sure exactly when though.

but you're still probably safe - the only difference is in the tone ring. on older models it's part of the hub on newer models it's part of the axle.

thing is - the axles are still interchangeable to some extent. the newer axles are nicer (more convolutions on the boots) so i knock the tone ring off of newer axles and install them on older subaru's. it's just an aluminum ring and easily slides off the end of the axle.

so...i guess the opposite should work - install the tone ring onto your older axles. then again - the 2000 might be just before that change took place, not sure, but either way it should work i do it all the time.

as for diff, as you know gear ratio is the only question. will depend on auto verses manual, i would assume the forester is manual like your OBW? if that's the case the forester is probably 4.11, not sure about the OBW but it'll be either 3.9 or 4.11. if you have the EJ25 OBW then i bet they're the same, but check first.

if you're looking into swapping parts the entire hub assembly/front spindle should interchange with your OBW as well so you can just swap that too.

SOHC timing belts are EASY! woo hoo! easier than the older DOHC stuff.

be careful with H6 stuff when looking into 2000+ interchangeability, they do have some differences.

Looks like I might be coming into a 2000 forester for a super (free) good (free) deal.

Obviously at that price, it needs a few things.

T-belt service is due

Pass. front wheel bearing needs replacing

Rear differential is bad.

Pass. front CV joint is bad.

I'm wondering about the rear diff and the CV joints. I've got a '96 OBW that is hurtin' in a few ways of it's own. The exhaust, brakes, interior are all in need of serious help, as well as rust that is starting to develop.

The CV axles on my OBW aren't that old and dealer units So i'm wondering if the length, spine count/diameter are the same between the two.

Also, are the diff's the same? I know they are the same ratio (4.11) I'm wondering if everything else is the same?

I'll go with a new wheel bearing, but I'm wondering if my OBW can be an organ doner in those other areas.

Thanks!

Will-

Good news, all the parts are the same axles, diff and bearing/spindle.

.... i would assume the forester is manual like your OBW?

Hmm... actually now, the Forester is an auto, forgot to mention that part. But, if I get into this, it's going to become a manual. I can't handle auto's they drive me crazy (no pun intended ;) )

If I do this, my crackpot scheme is to put my OBW's trans into the Forester. I remember reading that a '96 era EJ trans will bolt to a 2000 era EJ25 you just won't use all the bolt positions in the engine.

I'll modify the driveshaft if I have to then have the shebang balanced at a shop when I'm done.

So basically, the OBW trans and diff, so I know the ratios will match. I just didn't know if the rear diff would bolt up to the forester or if the spines for the rear DOJ's would match. Maybe even use the OBW driveshaft and save the... ehem.. balancing act?

I'll start other posts about all that stuff as it comes up.

if you have the EJ25 OBW then i bet they're the same, but check first.

Nope, the OBW is a 2.2L

if you're looking into swapping parts the entire hub assembly/front spindle should interchange with your OBW as well so you can just swap that too.

Sweet!

be careful with H6 stuff when looking into 2000+ interchangeability, they do have some differences.

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep it in mind.

Good news, all the parts are the same axles, diff and bearing/spindle.

Double sweet!!

Thanks ya'll

• 1 month later...

Hi, could anyone tell me just what years are compatible or is there a "cross reference chart" of what engines and transmissions are interchangeable and what years and models as well?? Here's what I've got and what's available, I've found an '02 Forester in need of a trans for cheap, and luckily I've found a trans locally for a fair price as well. And, a '96 Outback is also availble that has a 2.5 engine and auto trans, could the '96 trans fit the Forester?? Same engine? Same bolt up? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, aloha..

Hi, welcome to the forum. Auto trans or manual trans? Either way, it should physically fit but the bolt pattern in the '02 has some extra bolts that you wouldn't be able to use with the '96 trans. If it's an auto, I can't speak to TCU, ECU, switch compatibility as I don't know squat about them.

I suggest you do some searching. Use the the advanced search option as the normal search function sucks.

I also suggest you start a thread so you'll get more responses to your question.

Will-

open ended questions don't cut it here, it's not that black and white. every swap requires some tweaking - some 2 tweaks - some 10 - some more difficult than others.

96 and 02 are different EJ25's - 96 is Phase I 02 is Phase II. They don't swap without some serious tweaks.

The transmissions will bolt up but not sure about swapping, there were some changes and there are some differences.