Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Waha area run halloween

Uberoo

Saturday didnt quite turn out how I would have like it but it was still fun regardless.I had a bunch of last minute stuff to do in addition to helping a friend get his rig ready to go.My subaru was ready to go by 10:20, ok still enough time to get up there by 11.As im I backing out of my driveway something on the dash caught my eye and I accidentally backed into a parked truck.I offered to pay for new doors and to get them professionally color matched out of pocket.Not ok for them.They insist on involving the insurance and the cops...I ended up getting a $75 "improper backing" ticket and then the increased premiums of an at fault accident...yaa...didn't do a thing to my car though.not like I would have cared.However, I guess this means that an 84 subaru tin can is stronger than a 98 dodge aluminum can...

So I go to my friends house and help him bleed his brakes then we are off.About halfway there we figured what was causing the really bad vibrations from the front end.Turns out the 3 week old axle from schucks was failing,and badly.The inner boot was literally burning off the inner cup.It seems somebody when they assembled it didn't put enough grease in the thing...Oh well,lifetime warranty and all.Maybe the new replacement axle I will undo the clamps holding the boots on and pack them full of grease...or maybe not...Anyway we decided to keep driving up there and then see how long the axle would last. the axle failed about 5 miles from where I could go play.So I popped it into 4wd and continued on my way.At this point in time I was RWD with an open rear diff :dead:. and of course my best tires were on the front because at the time I figured "I can weld the rear diff but I can't do anything to improve traction for the front without major surgery...seemed like a good idea until a front driveshaft blew...I was reminded of that fact the whole day as big clunks of mud were flung off the front tires and much smaller pieces came off the back tires...I found out that RWD with mud tires with an open diff is < 4wd with snow tires.I was constantly getting stuck.To make matters worse I was trying to get out of a large mud hole and I lost reverse..I first thought I broke an axle until I figured out that I could still move forwards. That didn't stop me however and we still kept playing until about 6.Then we started to work our way back home,but following different mud trails to get there.. :grin: Along the way we came upon the owner of the local 4x4 store and his MASSIVE chevy. 4 door chevy with the bed shortened then converted into a fuel tank.All sitting on 44" boggers,Not to mention a 600 HP supercharged engine...It sounded like a diesel at low to mid range RPMS..Around this time my buddy broke a front axle u joint. so we were both RWD.He was welded solid with 36" super slicks (36" super swampers with only the side wall tread remaining). Then because we now had the big chevy with us we decided to go night wheeling for a nother hour and a half.I was fine with those four lights on the roof and my headlights... :banana: . then it was time to go home.Got home took a shower and went straight to a Halloween party.Now I am slightly afraid of sunlight and loud noises :lol:

I didnt get any pics of the actual wheeling But I did manage to get some really crappy cell phone videos. I got some video of the big chevy and of my friends truck, but I recorded by buddy's truck for to long so it exceeded the file size limit.I never got around to filming him again, opps. He did however get video of me in that one mud hole that I lost reverse. I am not sure if he got that or not. The only vid of my car is when its doing poorly, great. I will get that as soon as he recovers from the party...

In the mean time I suppose I can peek outside while wearing my cheap sunglasses and take a couple pictures.

Rigs:

1984 Subaru GL-2" lift, 235/75/15 mud tires,RWD,Open diff

Sam-1989 Ford ranger, 9"ish lift, 35" all terrains/bald 36" super swampers,4.0

Dennis -massive chevy, bed fuel tank, supercharged 454, 44" boggers

Damage report

Me- blown 3 week old axle,Lost reverse

Sam-blew up front axle ujoint (D35 TTB)

Dennis-had to lock in the hubs once or twice :lol:

Things for my To do list before I can even think about playing again:

Fix blown axle,Swap in transmission out of parts car,Weld Rear diff,Build steel bumpers, maybe find a legacy to steal its engine...

At least non of my fixes require money.except for bumpers and engine..

I can't see what your post is jeff.

heres some pics of the car after all said and done.pretty good for rwd with an open diff..

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=Picture001.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=Picture002.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=Picture003.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=Picture004.jpg

towards the end of the day mud turned to water and washed away alot of my handywork on the sides of the car.. :mad:

video will come shortly as soon as the vids cooperate with photobucket,and my buddy wakes up from his alcohol induced coma :lol: