Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Annual Hatch Patrol Xmas Tree run

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of us who were there (looked like about 40 cars but I didn't actually count them) had a good time. Thin layer of snow on the road on FR70 on the way in; was icey and more treacherous on the way out.

We came upon a half-rolled large truck (hard to tell from the underside) at the imfamous hairpin turn. We pulled over to assist just as another car was coming up the hill stopped to assist. JRach and another person held the passenger door open, while the passenger and a 6 year old climbed out; and then a very embarassed driver. Thankfully no one hurt. It's going to be tricky to right the truck and pull him out of the ditch. I was too busy trying to be useful to grab the camera and take some pictures. We saw a number of aid/forest service cars heading up while we continued down.

The day was bitter cold as reported and qman had to nail down the canopy to keep it from blowing away. Lots of firewood and the fire was a popular congregating location. Hot dogs were plentiful and thanks to Debbie for all the hard work cooking them. Hot chocolate and hot cider were more welcome than the cold, bottled iced tea I schlepped along. Thanks also to the guy from Vancouver who brought the apple and apple/cherry cobbler; it was delicious.

More cars came up to play in the snow than previous years, but the hardy ones among us did get their trees off the mountain. We shared our staging area with some jeeps and other 4WD trucks; but we outnumbered them all. The two jeeps were amazing; I have to give them that.

Huge thanks to those that put the meet together, got the fire going, brought food, cooked food and everything else. Much appreciated. Despite the wind's efforts and toasting my clutch, I had a blast. :banana:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and videos posted. Rob and I evidently missed some great donuts while we were digging out some person's car...

Ed's not lying about the slick roads. Bill and ??? got front row seats to me spinning my XT6 around about 540*. It went crazy slow and kept itself in the middle of the road though, so it was just a bit of extra fun to end the day on. :grin:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and videos posted. Rob and I evidently missed some great donuts while we were digging out some person's car...

Were you talking about the cars spinning donuts in the field; or the Krispy Kreme donuts? There were some of the KK stuff left over. If you missed them, you weren't paying attention.:grin:

Were you talking about the cars spinning donuts in the field; or the Krispy Kreme donuts? There were some of the KK stuff left over. If you missed them, you weren't paying attention.:grin:

Hahaha The car variety. I had too many of the others... :slobber:

And here they are....first pics of Hatch Patrol 09.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cnmphoto/HatchPatrolChristmasTreeRun2009#

Enjoy!

Nice pics. You had more than I. I can't post them; too much trouble re-size them and I don't have a posting 'site. I like picasweb; first 'site that was intuitive enough for me to look at them without needing directions. One of these days, I'll have to set one up.

Nice pics. You had more than I. I can't post them; too much trouble re-size them and I don't have a posting 'site. I like picasweb; first 'site that was intuitive enough for me to look at them without needing directions. One of these days, I'll have to set one up.

comes free with a Gmail account.

Nice Shots!

I just got home, Snoqualmie pass was nice and clean coming back :banana:

No major breakdowns, had a pretty good time at the meet, although a good portion of mine and a couple of others' time was spent at the local Fire station, we ran into a call for help on my CB from the other side of the mountains :eek: (gotta love my 10' whip :grin:) and we were obligated to help. Turned out a couple of 'wheelers got stranded up in the mountains on the 5th, and had been stuck out there with no food. We got a call back about 7 pm and they had been found, thanks to our help :) so that was rewarding. Overall it was a good day, the Beast didnt give me any problems, I got to see Briggs do an awesome spin-out on the way off the mountain, and I got to meet some cool people and had a good time.

-Bill

Nice Shots!

I just got home, Snoqualmie pass was nice and clean coming back :banana:

No major breakdowns, had a pretty good time at the meet, although a good portion of mine and a couple of others' time was spent at the local Fire station, we ran into a call for help on my CB from the other side of the mountains :eek: (gotta love my 10' whip :grin:) and we were obligated to help. Turned out a couple of 'wheelers got stranded up in the mountains on the 5th, and had been stuck out there with no food. We got a call back about 7 pm and they had been found, thanks to our help :) so that was rewarding. Overall it was a good day, the Beast didnt give me any problems, I got to see Briggs do an awesome spin-out on the way off the mountain, and I got to meet some cool people and had a good time.

-Bill

Glad you got back in one piece. I hate think about getting stuck out there overnight. Friggin cold. Nice you came out and were able to pick up their distress call. I wonder if that was why we saw so many emergency vehicles coming up the road as we were going home. At the time I thought it was a pretty major response for the family that had put it in the ditch on the hairpin turn.

I want to thank everyone who braved the windchill! Damn, it was cold. We had a good turn out despite the cold. We had snow all the way up from Greenwater.

The food idea seemed to be very welcomed. Maybe we'll keep doing it. The fire was the best place to be. Turbone and I brought up a couple of propane heaters that actually kept flaming out due to the wind.

Thanks to Jon from Delta for the hot apple cider and for putting on some pants! You were making everyone cold just looking at you. Thanks to Eriksport for the cobbler... it was great.

And, we outlasted the folks from the BBQ!! J/K Dave.

Edited by Qman

I had a blast, that was just what the doctor ordered. . Had 3 lifted older gen soobs chace my slightly lowered imp up the mountain. Fun game of tortoise and the hair. Take off, wait up , take off etc. I managed to get it high centered when the snow suddenly got really deep and I fell thru the crust. Thanks Jessie for your patients in helping get me back on the trail. We had to dig him out twice too. :P I didn't feel so bad, a hundred yards up the trail, 2 jeeps and two big pick ups were also stuck and being winched out or tugged by the two MASSIVE Unimogs.

It was too cold to hold onto a camera, but I took a few pics.

1082601hp5.jpg

1082601hp4.jpg

1082601hp3.jpg

1082601hp2.jpg

1082601hp1.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, I had a good time. Although we Bill, ScoobyWagon, Bill's Friend, and myself, spent the better part of the morning trying to get help to the lost/stuck people we heard on the CB. It was not all bad, the people were found and we were busy getting help, so if was fun.

The road up was slick as snot and proved to remove vehicles from it's surface at the slightest driving mistake or over confidence manuver.

We went and played a bit, Zap was tearing up the Mtn. when he finally got in too deep up snow. We almost made it to the unimogs!

Later A few up us headed back up the trail, where myself and a impreza both got burried in the hard frozen snow. That pretty much ended the exploring for us.

After some fuse/heat issues I was able to get warm again and cruize down to 'Base Camp'

No I didn't get a tree or spend alot a time at 'Base Camp' But everyone was friendly and welcoming. Lots of smiles and general good time.

Thanks Qman, You put on a good trip.