Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 line fuel filter & vent line

Well that's odd. I would say something is amiss inside the tank perhaps. Have you looked inside the tank? Check to see if there's any weird cross connected hoses under the car too. The vent port should be above the fuel level in the tank so pressure should not be building up in the tank. Somehow you have the vent line plumbed to liquid and it's not venting. How that happened is anyone's guess but the problem isn't in the engine bay I wouldn't think.

GD

For now, I took the easy route. Removed the gas cap. Attached a vacuum hose to where the return enters the engine bay, and blew. Exactly as expected, could hear and feel bubbling going on in the tank. Check. Removed and attached said hose to the vent port entering the engine bay. And blew. Exactly as expected. Nada. Blew harder, boom, little bit of air seeped through to the tank. Blew more and more and more, eventually I could blow air through considerably, but still some restriction.

Drove it home, no gas smell. No self purging out the return line going on. I think the vent is still a bit clogged, but way better than before. So for now it stays, I think I got bigger fish to fry now.

Might open a post on head gasket symptoms/replacement. Been acting up a bit lately, not to mention they've probably been leaking for the last fifteen years.

Thanks again GD and Naked Buell. Will update post if I run across any more fuel concerns.

Edited by beamsbox

Doubt the vent line is plugged.

The vent line is NOT supposed to be completely free flowing.

There is a "2 way" valve inline.

It holds a certain amont of pressure in the tank before it opens.(2psi I think)

Likewise.it holds a certain amount of vacuum before opening.

You should not be able to blow freely thru the vent.

If you can,the 2 way valve is fubared.