Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

My Wife Loves the Looks of the "KiaSteinwith those White LED Lights.

I Wired them to the courtesy lights
 (Passing Lights) plugs, so they'll lit along them.

I Tried to take Photos of those during Night times, BUT to take a Photo of Direct Lights isn't easy... I Had to set manually the White
 (Light) Balance on my Camera to the Lowest setting, in order to avoid the natural distortion, so the Resulted pictures are Deep Dark... but they gives the Idea.

The whole setup has more than a Year working Flawlessly, and the car does look more Modern, without adding a mess of other parts, somehow by this way, it looks standard, especially with headlights off when the LED Lights are almost unnoticeable.

Let me know what do you Think about this mod.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

Starting a New Retrofitting Project with my Wife's "KiaStein"

Rear Disc Brakes Swap!

:D 

So, I am perfectionist and I somehow "Need" that my cars runs Mechanically as near as Perfect could be Possible, but my Wife's "KiaStein" needs monthly adjustments to the Rear Drum Brake's Shoes and I'm getting very Tired doing that monthly adjustment.

(More info on this same thread's older posts and also, ~► Here.)

Not only because it is a Pain in the Rear to do such simple Job, due to the Lack of a well designed way to adjust 'em from the outside (There is an unuseful misaligned tiny hole in the Back of the Backing Plate and I never found a tool capable to "Magically" reach the adjuster thru it) and thus mean that you "Need" to remove the Whole Drum to do the Adjustment (many times 'till is done right), but also Because I suffer from Deep & Horrid Gout Foot Attacks some times per year, and during those days, I couldn't do that adjustment and I have to drive my Wife's "KiaStein" because is Automatic and thus mean to use only one foot...

I Know that there was a "Top of the Line" Kia Sephia Model (Premium) with Factory Rear Disc Brakes and other ammenities, but is not easy to come across one of those in Local Junk Yards. So, the Questions Are:

Have anybody did the Rear Disc Brakes Swap or Retrofit on a 2000 Kia Sehia Before?

Where I could find Used parts from a second gen Kia Sephia
(1998 ~2001) or first gen Kia Spectra (2000 ~ 2003) with Factory Rear Disc Brakes to do the Swap?

The Local Kia Dealer's mechanics said to me that first gen Spectras Share the Same Brake parts in the Rear, with the older second Gen Sephias ... Basically talking, those are the Same Vehicles, despite that early Spectras got different Front Brakes & suspension parts, their rear axle is the same with the late Sephias.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I started to Search for the Elusive Rear Disc Brakes since long time ago, when I solved the Mistery about the Fading Brake Pedal and premature wear to the front Brakes. Then, I Changed many parts of the Brake system; as you can Read (and see photos) in Previous Posts, such like this one ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/101718-kia-sephia-sporty/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1119326

Lots of People have experienced that same problem, Brake Pedal Fade and premature wear of the Front disc brakes ... and some never found the Answer to the Mistery; as you can Read few examples on this Links:

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2277486/01-kia-sephia-brakes

http://www.mombu.com/asian_cars/sephia-forum/t-rear-brake-adjustment-on-2001-sephia-647634.html

http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-1998-2001-sephia/47183-1999-kia-sephia-rear-brake-adjustment.html

And illogically, I found that the Answer was on the Rear Drum Brakes!!! eek.gif

Let me explain: The Rear Drum Brake system found on the Second Gen Sephia uses a Ratcheting Cam
(Named "Strut" by Kia) that is suposed to take up play as Brake Shoes wear, but definitively, such thing doesn't work at all due to their bad design, and as the rear brake shoes wear, their surface gets farther from the rotating drum and during braking, the rear wheels spin freely while the fronts are doing the braking effort, because the rear brake pumps can't handle well the extra distance without a useful automatic shoes adjuster, that means that the rear shoes are barely "Touching" the Drums under Braking, while the fronts could be at Maximum clamping force.

So, in order to compensate the normal wear on the rear shoes, the car needs Monthly adjustments to the Rear Drum Brakes to Keep said shoes as near to the Rotating drum as possible, and thus means to have a firm & tall brake pedal, and ensure that it has the proper braking power to be Safe.

The Only Real Solution for such a "Design flaw" problem was found by Kia years ago: to install factory Rear Disc Brakes, but Kia Sold very few "Premium" Sephias that featured those.

I am Searchin' in Junk Yards for a Premium Second Gen (1998 ~ 2001) Kia Sephia or First Gen (2000 ~ 2003) Kia Spectra with those elusive Rear Disc Brakes, and do the Swap project.

Such kind of a Project has been done Before, I found a Link to "StreetKiaz.com" where a Guy found a Factory Rear Disc Brakes equipped Sephia on a Junk Yard, removed everything and swapped onto his Car; he stated on the Subject:

All together it probably took me 8 hours before I had everything set. I know others could do it in less time, though. ... The e-brake cables for the discs are different than the ones for the drums. They are the same at the front-side of the car, but different at the calipers. As far as routing and securing them goes, however, its the same.

And he posted the Following Photos of his Sephia with Rear Disc Brakes:

16885.jpg

16886.jpg

Edit : Remember, on my Threads & Posts: underlined words are Web Links.  :)

Some good friend suggested me to do a Full Rear Axle & suspension Swap, However I don't think such Swap is Necessary, because two reasons:

1 - The Rear Struts
(Coil Springs + Shock Absorbers) are the original ones and Still are working fine, even after more than 150,000 Miles and the Rude / Loaded travels they have to bear on our Horrid Roads, plenty of Potholes and even potholes inside the Potholes; after all that mileage and abuse during all these years, they're still Strong, there are no damage nor weakness of the rear struts, Coil Springs, nor links, etc... which I consider Awesome for a Cheap small family Sedan.

2 - Also, I can not let this car stopped for much more time than a Weekend, 'cos it is my Wife's daily Driver and sometimes we Switch cars, especially during the horrible Gout Foot Attacks that I suffer from time to time: The "KiaStein" is Automatic, so I rest my left foot; while my "BumbleBeast" is Manual and the cable operated Clutch isn't "Soft" precisely ... :(

I've investigated a Lot, prior to do this Swap / Retrofitting, and according to the information I found, the Second Gen Sephia (1998 ~ 2001) and the First Gen Spectra (2000 ~ 2003) uses the Same part numbers on the Rear Disc Brakes, so this Confirms that the Same Rear Brake parts where used on the Second Gen Sephia (1998 ~ 2001) models / First Gen Spectra (2000 ~ 2003) models. (The 2004 and up Spectra models are Different -Hyundai Elantra Twins- so those will not Retrofit.)

Even seems like Some of those parts (Such like the Calipers and Brake Pads) interchange with some other Kia Models  :grin:  See: ~► KIA 0K2N349980  The Kia Carens, the Clarus and the Credos uses them too.

RearDiscBrakeAssembly.jpg

Part Numbers (for Both late Sephia & early Spectra) are:

L (Driver's Side) Caliper ............ 0K2N349990  also 0K2N326990 also 0K9B049990
► Driver's Side Spindle ......... 0K2A326120D
► Same side's Dust Shield ..... 0K2A326271
► Left Parking Brake Cable .... 0K2A244420E

R (Passenger's Side) Caliper ....... 0K2N349980 also 0K2N326980 also 0K9B049980
► Passenger's Side Spindle .... 0K2A326110D
► Same side's Dust Shield ..... 0K2A326261
► Right Parking Brake Cable .. 0K2A244410E

► Calliper Bolts x4 ................. K997561035

► Dust Shield's Bolts x6 ......... K997960812

► Rear Hub x2 ...................... 0K2N126150
-also- 0K21626150

► Lug Bolts x8 ...................... 0K99333062B

► Rear Rotors x2 .................. 0K2AA26251
(could have an extra "A" or "B" at the end)

► Lock Nuts x2 ..................... 0K20133042

► Lock Nuts Caps x2 ............. 0K20126071

► Hydraulic Hoses x2 ............ 0K2A243810C

► Brake Pads x4 (set) ........... 0K9A02628Z also 0K2FC2628Z

The Total Amount for those New Parts 'Could' cost more than the Car itself;

So I will seek to find Used Parts from Junk Yards only.

Edit: The same Calipers & Brake Pads were used by Kia in other Models, such as 

Kia Credos I,
Kia Clarus, 
Kia Carens I,
Kia Shuma,
Kia Spectra I,

And are still in use / in production. Further info, ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

The Last weekends has been very busy for me, I dedicated all Saturday and all Sunday to the Search of those Rear Disc Brakes in Local Junk Yards (Called here ~► "Yónkers") of the Main Cities of my Country.

Unlike all the other Central-American countries, whose only has one Big City
(Usually their capital city) with around a million population and the rest are small cities; Honduras has Two Big Cities, one is the Capital City which officially is named as "Distrito Central" which means Central District; it has Two Cities combined: "Tegucigalpa" and "Comayagüela" (just a River crosses in the Middle, between both) and has around 1.5 Million population; located at the Center-south of the Country, at two hours from the Pacific's ocean coast.

The other "Big" City is "San Pedro Sula" also with 1.5 Million Population too, located in the North, at one hour from the Caribbean Coast and nearby the port of "Cortes" where my Wife's "KiaStein" was delivered inside a container in year 2009...
(it came from USA in a merchant vessel, it is cheaper to Buy used cars that way, than buying them locally) ...There are around 250 Kms (157 Miles) distance between both "Big" Cities and a Brand New 4 track (two each side) Speedway between both.

So I bypassed all the many Small Town's Junk Yards and started searching on Capital City
(usually refered to as "Tegucigalpa" only) and after Spending (wasting) all the Saturday on many Junk Yards only to find Nothing but Drum Brakes; I decided to take the Family the next day in a Long round trip to San Pedro Sula.

We went there early Sunday to search for those elusive Disc Brakes ... and after Spending
(wasting) all sunday from one junk yard to the other and so on ... (some were closed, but I Wrote their Phone Numbers to call 'em on Monday) ... I found nothing but Drum Brakes there too.

So after spending the Whole Weekend, some money and a Tank full of Gasoline, we came back home without the needed parts. Seems like it is "Impossible" to find such parts locally; only One guy from one Junk Yard said that he Had once a "
Rare Sephia with Rear Disc Brakes that seemed Factory installed", but he had that three years ago ... There are Tons of Hyundais, Kias, Fords, Nissans, Chevrolets, Dodges, VolksWagens, etc, etc, etc... I took a look of their rear spindles, but no one matched to the Sephia's one.

But not all the Weekend Voyage was a Waste, I Learned that the 2004 Spectra shares the Same Rear Axle
(Disc Brakes, Links, etc... ) with the same year's Hyundai Elantra ... and also those will not retrofit onto the early Spectras, nor Sephias. They tried to sell me the whole rear axle from a 2004 Spectra / Elantra, but the MOUNTING points are different, so despite that the overal width is the same than the Spectra's / Sephia's rear axle, it is a Bad Idea to do such swap: The Spectra's /Sephia's Body is reinforced in other areas for its own rear axle, so such swap could be Dangerous.

The 2004 Spectra's / Elantra's Rear Disc Brakes has ABS and features an inner Drum Brake setup in the rotor, used for the Parking Brake only, while the Disc Rotor is used for the Main Brake; unlike the Late Sephia's (1998 - 2001) / Early Spectra's (2000 - 2003) Single Disc Setup, which does Not have ABS and whose Caliper is used for Both Braking and Parking Brake; also the 2004 Models' Spindles has other measurements than the early ones, so those aren't compatible nor interchangeable.

The Rear Disc Brakes that are compatible with Late
(second Gen) Sephias ('98 → '01) that came with Rear Drum Brakes (Beside the same Sephia's Rear disc Brakes) are the early (First Gen) Spectras ('00 → '03) Disc Brakes.

So, seems like you in USA are my Last Hope to obtain such Rear Disc Brakes...

Please let me know if you know where I could obtain such used parts from a Junk Yard in USA.

I Made Phone Calls all the last week to the other Junk Yards that were Closed on Sunday in San Pedro Sula City, and other Junk Yards located in other main cities whose Phone Numbers I found on the Phone Guide; and also they doesn't have any Gen II Kia Sephia nor any Gen I Kia Spectra with Rear Disc Brakes. so the Conclusion is that those parts are Impossible to find here in Honduras.

The "KiaStein" is in Dire Need of those Rear Disc Brakes... the rear drums needs their Monthly adjustment and I -my body- somehow refuse to do that, one more time anymore. 

I want to Fix Permanently that annoyin' issue ... I will do the montly adjustment -once again- to the Rear Drums of the "KiaStein" ... :mellow: ... I hope it will be the last one. 

As I wrote above on Previous Posts, the Rear drum Brakes on the Second Gen Kia Sephia has another problem related to the Bad designed self "Strut" adjusters: Both sides Never ever wear the Shoes equally, and thus means that the side with more wear is the side that does more braking effort.

In the Second Gen Kia Sephia, I noticed that the Driver's Side, trend to retain the Adjustment for more time than the Passenger's side, which loose it faster; it makes me think that Tire Rotation and its Vibrations might has something to do with that phenomenon: The "Strut" adjusters might suffer from that since they're Weak, while the Old-School style "Star" Adjusters were Stronger.

This is more noticeable in Big Trucks; automotive engineers aware of that, since the Driver's Side tire runs spinning to the Left while Passenger's side tire runs spinning to the Right, whenever the car normally circulates; that makes Lug nuts to become more Tight in Passenger's Side and More Loose on Driver's Side, so certain trucks such like the Daihatsu Delta, comes with Left Threaded Lug Bolts on the Driver's side; to Keep all Lug Bolts safely Tight.

In Short words, that tendency of the Second Gen Kia Sephia of Loosing the Rear Drum Brake's Adjustment in one side faster than the Other, makes Emergency Braking more Dangerous, since one of the rear wheels could Lock while the other spins freely...

Some people in other countries, such like USA will think something like this: Why deal with all the Hassle of Swapping brake parts on an twelve years old car? ... but the answer is that here in my country, used cars in good mechanical conditions are very expensive.

In example, a used car such like this Kia, that in USA could cost $ 1,000.ºº US Dollars, here its price raises up to $ 3,500.ºº US Dollars ... so I need to Keep this Car in good working conditions as long as I Can.

Please help me to find the parts Needed

Let me Know if you come across a second gen Sephia or first gen Spectra with Rear Disc Brakes in a Junk Yard, and you will to trade 'em with me; I will pay the cost of the parts needed to do such Swap / Retrofit, also the Shippin' costs plus any fee involved.

My family and I will be more than Thankful.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

Other people that had experienced the same Rear Drum Brakes' problems on same model Kia, contacted me via Private Messages asking advice. A guy send me Photos of his Sephia's rear drum brakes setup, because his car, beside the above explained problems with such rear drum brakes, also developed a weird "clunck" sound in one side.

I Printed the Three (3) Photos he sent and took them with me when I made the monthly adjustment to my Wife's "KiaStein" rear drum brakes, for comparison purposes.

Tambora1.jpg

Let me Share some Photos taken during

the Rear Drum Brakes' adjustment procedure:

I Removed the Rim...

Tambora2.jpg

...and Started to Disassembly everything...

Tambora3.jpg

As you can see, the interior was pretty Dusty, that dust comes from the Brake Shoes as they wear, so is Normal to have certain amount of Dust buildup, and said dust makes the shoes to be noisy as they rub against the drum during "soft" Braking.

The photos sent by the one that contacted me, showed that the "Strut" adjuster had deployed abnormally, and was touching the lug bolt's heads on the wheel hub on each rotation... that was the source of the noise he heard.

After comparing with my Wife's "KiaStein" setup, I found that he had installed backwards one side's "Strut" adjuster ... :mellow: ... considering that those strut adjusters are little less than useless, to find that they could be installed backwards and create such kind of risky problems, only makes those rear drum brakes to be even worse.

I took some more photos and sent 'em back to him along an explanation... 

Tambora9.jpg

Tambora10.jpg

Tambora11.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After exchanging some private messages with other members of Kia-Forums who were Searching among their local Junk Yards in order to find a suitable donor car for me ... one of them obtained a positive answer from a Junk Yard nearby his place, and offered to help me to obtain its Rear Disc Brakes' Assemblies.  icon14.gif

Around mid october 2013, the junk yard guys told him that eighteen days ago, they had received a first gen Kia Spectra Premium with 104K miles that featured factory Rear Disc Brakes; such car went there due to motor damage, but the rest was in good conditions / not in an accident ... :D ... But the Car was sitting in the Dirt without Rims, so the brake parts were Rusted already...

This is the Picture that the junkyard sent to Mr. Robert (GottaCruise) then:

RearDiscBrakes-KiaSephia1.jpg

Knowing that the Rotors and Pads should be in bad shape, I wanted to buy both side's (Left & Right) complete Rear Disc Brakes assemblies from the Junk Yard, plus the Parkin' Brake Cables, Rubber Hoses, etc... all the involved Hardware.

And then I will obtain a pair of Brand New Rotors plus Pads' set for those rear Disc Brakes, from Amazon; in order to rebuild them to Good Working Conditions, prior to mount them on my Wife's Sephia, the "KiaStein" :D

RearRotorsPads.jpg