Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

IIt Came with a CD inside! ... :eek: ... Named: "Dj Infamous: Young Dro & Young LA – Black Boy, White Boy" ... that can be Seen Here. (Also I Found in the Car a Huge Pink EarRing without its Pair)

COLOR]

Sounds like that Rig came from Miami, lol. I can picture a bunch of "people" in that car all decked out in 1990's attire headed to the club, listening to their favorite DJ blah-blah-blah whatever album. Huge pink hoop earings, and extra large sunglasses. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

...Check for white smoke when doing this little test. Take the car out on the highway and get up to a good speed. Then remove foot from gas pedal and allow the car to coast. If there appears a cloud of white smoke behind the car, almost a given oil is being pulled into the combustion chambers.

Thank you for this Test Idea, let me tell you that As I Wrote before, I Removed the Whole Head and Already Changed those Guides and serviced the Valves, But I Did the Test that you Suggested just in case... 0s140ck.gif?t=1261631308

and I Found: Nothing! ... No White nor any colour of Smoke could be Seen; so I Assume those Valve Guides are Allright; but Thank you for the Test, it is a Good Idea that I will keep in mind.

I always thought burning oil gives a blueish/black smoke? White sounds like coolant burning off...

Very Respectfully let me Tell you: No my Friend. As experience had teached to me, Usually the White Smoke Clouds means Oil Burning and Black Smoke Clouds means a Too Rich Fuel/Air Mixture. However there could be more causes for that but Basically that's How it works.

Thank you for your Kind Post, I Already Checked those Coolant levels as you Suggested and They're Allright too.

Sounds like that Rig came from Miami, lol. I can picture a bunch of "people" in that car all decked out in 1990's attire headed to the club, listening to their favorite DJ blah-blah-blah whatever album. Huge pink hoop earings, and extra large sunglasses. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Ha, Ha! ... Well, the Car Came in a Cargo Vessel from Georgia, USA.

Let me Tell you that Since I Poured those Four Ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil on the Kia's Engine Oil, the Car Runs Very Very Smooth and the White Cloud of Smoke is Gone! thwootdance.gif?t=1261630668 no more Early Mornin' Clouds of Fumes Anymore! .... seems like the car's engine had Stuck the Oil Piston Rings and the MMO did get 'em Free Again!!! woot.gif?t=1261631215

Now that MMO is what I call a REAL Additive!

Kind Regards.

People at the Kia Forums told me that the 1.8L (16 Valves) engine on those Kias Need a Thinner Oil than the 20W~50 I Poured in it... they Suggested Just 30! :eek:

For a 112,000 Miles engine, What do you Think About? ... it Really will be Harmful for the Engine the 20W~50 or I Must Change it for 30?

I am Considering to Choose a 15W~40... What do you Think About?

Any Suggestion will be very Welcome!

Kind Regards.

People at the Kia Forums told me that the 1.8L (16 Valves) engine on those Kias Need a Thinner Oil than the 20W~50 I Poured in it... they Suggested Just 30! :eek:

For a 112,000 Miles engine, What do you Think About? ... it Really will be Harmful for the Engine the 20W~50 or I Must Change it for 30?

I am Considering to Choose a 15W~40... What do you Think About?

Any Suggestion will be very Welcome!

Kind Regards.

Knowing Kia manufacturing quality, I say change it now to 10w-40 or

10w-30.

Even though you live in a very temperate area, new cars are designed to run on thinner oil.

Some new Fords run 5w-20 oil :eek:!

I know you'll probably never need the 10w-30 at its thinnest, but it should work better than the 20w-50 with the engine.

Twitch

I think the 15w-40 would probaly be a good choice, we use it for a lot of things here in Oklahoma with our warm climate, I would use it before I would use 10w-30, but I don't know much about Kia's either. I have wondered if manufacturers use thinner oil to help with break in and cold starts, and don't really care if it affects long term engine life.

• 8 months later...

in defense of old kia products i would like to say that the only thing i have driven as indestructable as my roo was a fords festiva/kia pride/mazda 121 (all the same car). i did things to that car that would destroy even a subaru (15-20,000 miles w/o oil change, rally, drifting etc. as far as the new ones go i have no idea, all new cars are junk as far as im concerned. just wanted to stick up for the lil festy and its ilk.

RV

Yes... You're Right: Kia / Mazda \ Ford are Somehow producing Versions of the same car, like the Li'l one you Had, Which became one of the "Most Wanted" in the Used Cars Market... They are Long Lasting & Economic to Drive.

The same case is the Ford Focus / Mazda 3 \ Kia Sephia (Now renamed as "Spectra")

Just for information: I serviced (just Oil & Filter Change) a recent Mazda 3 and every part says: FoMoCo ... Kia does Not use the "Original" FoMoCo Parts but their own made Versions... the Main Difference between those Products are the Body Design, 'cos even many parts are interchangeable.

Kia Shares some Parts with Hyundai... (Kia & Hyunday are the Same since 1997) ...All that Facts makes Very Easy to Obtain Parts for a Kia, you can Choose from which Brand and Aftermarket you might Want...

...and the Battery Base, that was Very Rusty. Again: The Magic of SandPaper & RustOleum:

de-Rusting05.jpg?t=1283900193

I Hanged it There After Painting and it had Two Hours at the Sun Light, Then started to Rain...

de-Rusting06.jpg?t=1283900131

Also I Glued a Thick Rubber Over it...

it is a Great idea that this Kias have a Removable Battery Base, just three Nuts and Voilá! :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

i know quite a bit now we have one here at the shop. i know its weak points. pm me if need be but heres my quick experience

2000 kia sephia 5 speed manual everything for interior options

picked ours up for $300

girl said it had a knock i bring it back to the shop and i see a hole in the plastic head cap pulled it to find it was missing a spark plug. had one handy went to put it in and it went in but only once. the girl just had the hg redone the clutch waterpump the WORKS and it "developed a knock" (which was the engine shaking and tapping the hood) so i installed a helicoil and were good as new.

put short the head is SOFT be careful with the plugs. the starters act up sometimes too

Edited by True2Blue

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for your Advice, and yes, I'll Like to Know More about this Kia...

...2000 kia sephia 5 speed manual everything for interior options ...

My Wifre's one is the Same but Automatic.

So Far it Runs Powerful & Smooth... But I just Noticed Something:

Last Night I Didn't Found High Octane Gasoline (Super) on the Gas Station Nearby Home; so we Put a Half Tank of Lower Octane (Regular) Gasoline, it was Empty.

The Engine Started to make Valve's Noises... So I Blame the Gasoline... Then I Put a Bardahl Brand "Octane Booster" 12 ounces Bottle onto the Tank...

Now the Noise cut just a Half, under acceleration, but the Idle speed Has Increased a Lot! :eek: also the "Check Engine" Light came on...

Any Idea? ... Could that Gasoline + Additive damaged Something?

Any Suggestion will be Highly Appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Thank you for your Kind Answer! :)

I Solved the Problem... For Now; let me Explain:

I Searched around the Engine with a Good Hand Lamp, yesterday's Night after my Post and Found Nothing unusual.

Then this Early Morning I Searched again with Sun Light... then I Found something Weird: The Air Filter Box, which remind me an Octopus due to its four Hoses:

1. One goes from the Air Filter Box to Up above the Radiator, to breathe fresh Air...
  2. One goes from the Air Filter Box to the Fender's inner part! :eek: (to breath Dusty Air?)
  3. One goes from the Air Filter Box to the intake Manyfold.
  4. The Last one comes from the third one and goes to an empty Box, which I Assume is some Sort of Squared "Catch Can" Box.

Well... That Fourth one was the Culprit: The Catch can Box had a Vertical Rectangular Hole in one Side, around one inch Wide and as Tall as the Box itself...

So the Engine was Breathing directly "Fresh Air" Right from the Atmosphere, bypassing any Filter and increasing intake's Air Flow.

Gotta Love those Easy Fixes: I Just Closed it with Black Electric Tape and I Drove the Car Today...

All the Symptoms gone instantly, the Ride (to my Job) lasted one Hour... then in the Afternoon I Drove it Back to Home another Hour and the "Check Engine Light" (CEL) is Gone by itself!!! :banana:

Now I will see if I can Find a Good Replacement for that Part, 'cos I was Considering to Resurface it with Fiberglass, but its Plastic material is too Cheap and is too Worn, so it Doesn't Worth it.

Does Anybody Knows which other car has a Direct Replacement for that Plastic Box? ... it Seems to measure 3" each side.

Kind Regards.

• 4 months later...

I would like to start out by saying I know nothing about Kias.

That said, it sounds similar to the resonance chambers on Ford Probes and Mazda 626's, so that is what I'll refer to it as. The point of this is to somewhat change the pulses at certain engine speeds. on the f2's that I have experience with the resonance chamber adds 2-3 lbs of torue around 2-3k. Removing it causes you to lose that extra torque, but gain it back as horsepower in the top end.

So I would say that you could probably just do almost anything to your car, as long as it's airtight. This is most likely the reason that it ran so badly before. I'm guessing that the flow sensor (VAF, MAF, etc.) is on the air filter box, so the hole in the resonance chamber was allowing unmetered air in, which is why all those other wild things started happening.

As far as a replacement part, I keep thinking of a peanut butter jar, and use JB Weld or some sort of epoxy and use that as your new resonance chamber. Or you could use a piece of plastic from some container and glue it over the hole in your current resonance chamber.

Hopefully something in this helps you!

Edited by soobenthusiast

• 1 month later...

Yes! ... Thank you, it Really Helped and this...

... it sounds similar to the resonance chambers on Ford Probes and Mazda 626's ...

...makes Sense, since Kias are the Korean Versions (Mechanically Talking) of Fords and Mazdas; even more, here in my Country we know that you can use a Spare Part for your Kia from Ford or Mazda.

The Kia Sephia / Spectra have the T8D Twin Cam (16 Valves or DOHC) Four Cyl. 1.8L Engine that was Originally Designed by Ford.

Kind Regards.

• 4 months later...
I would think worn valve guides and or worn valve seals would be the cause of the white smoke...

Well... About That:

The White Smoke never disappeared, but I Started to Check Things on the Kia and I Found a "Dancing" (Wiggling) Main Pulley, let me Explain:

The Main Pulley that comes at the Bottom of the Engine, was moving almost an inch side by side on each Turn, so I Obtained a New one...

Pulley.jpg

...Thinking that maybe the Old one was Bent.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Misspelled Word

...And What an unholy Surprise I Found!!!

:mad:

The Timing Belt's Sprocket were Loose and the Previous Owner (or its Mechanic, I Don't Know), instead of Obtaining it New, or at least a Good used one, did This:

HPIM7676.jpg

With That Stupid Idea of Welding the Sprocket to the Crankshaft, not only the Sprocket wasn't well alligned (Making the Main Pulley to "Dancing"-Wiggling- as it is attached to the Sprocket) but also the Welding Burnt the Oil Seal there!!! :banghead:

So the T8D engine was Leakin' Oil and the Welded Sprocket to the Crankshaft makes to Change that Seal a Nightmare that involves to Change the Crankshaft and the Sprocket too...

First I Obtained a Good used Crankshaft at a Junk Yard, then I Was Searchin' for a Good Sprocket and evertything involved, but then I Realized that the Pulley's Vibration must have "Eaten" part of the Engine's Life...

And it was Still Blowin' White Clouds...

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Center the image