Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

Lifting the "KiaStein" ...continued.

As I already explained on posts on the previous page, I already found the perfect coil springs to lift the Rear a little, while getting rid of the saggy butt that the Sephia used to have...

Coil%20Springs%20Together.jpg

Rear%20Axle%20-%20Lifted.jpg

...but now, I'm seeking a way to lift the Front the same amount, to level it.

It is pretty difficult to be swimming upstream, because almost all the sedan owners, are seeking to lower their cars, while I am seeking to lift our car; and all I found online are lowering coil springs; however, the front shock absorbers does not give too much room to install bigger coil springs, like the rears have, and the front ones already are stiff, not saggy like the rears were.

Firstly I purchased an original (stock) used, front coil spring, from another 2000 second gen Kia Sephia from the Junk Yard, in order to take measurements of it with my vernier scale (Caliper Tool known here as "Pie de Rey" = King's Foot), and then to carry it as a Sample for comparison purposes; then I searched, and searched for suitable replacements, among piles of coil springs and strut assemblies, found on many different local Junk Yards, called here "Yonkers" as you can see in the following photo:

Resortes.jpg

I went there carrying my Vernier Scale and made annotations of the Measurements found on the Coil Springs that could be suitable replacements; then I came home, contrasted those measurements and researched online further information regarding those coil springs that I found to be as possible candidates; because they don't only need to have similar size and shapes; they must be of similar capabilities.

I needed to compare their Measurements, Spring Rates, Load Rates and Wire Diameters, to find the perfect ones for the application.

This other photo was shot when the Kia was parked next to a Pine tree,

There was a pretty rare, four-legged spider!

4%20legged%20spyder.jpg

... :o ...

I've never seen such a spider before.

Looks like the thing from preditor vs alien that jumps on peoples faces and lays its eggs.
  • Like 1

Looks like the thing from preditor vs alien that jumps on peoples faces and lays its eggs.

Yes, it is a pretty weird insect, I've never seen it before.

Long ago, I saw an orange spider, pretty big (like 6" radius) and the colour looked very intense...

Seems like we have weird forms of lifes in the Caribbean tropics...

Kind Regards.

Back on topic... You know that I have long experience since many years ago, with using "my own method" described above, to find Suitable Coil Springs that could improve the load / handling, as you can read on my Writeup regarding similar suspension improvements, done to my Subaru, since 1999:

~►
 http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Also, I've done the same to a bunch of other cars, but I never found a coil spring on the Front of a small, 4 cylinder sedan; that comes from factory being too high on load rate, like the ones on the Front of this Sephia; they're rated almost like the front coil springs from a pick up truck, see:

Stock%202nd%20gen%20Sephia%20coil%20spri

857 Lbs Load Rate / 140 Lbs Spring Rate is pretty stiff to start with.

After searchin' and researchin' using "my own method" as I described above, I found that the most similar coil springs, to the ones on the Front of the second gen Kia Sephia, were the ones made for certain Toyota vehicles; which doesn't surprise me, because I already used the conical rear coil springs from a Toyota Camry, on the Rear of our Sephia, as you can read on previous posts of this thread.

I found the ones from a 1987 Toyota Camry to be pretty close:

Camry%20front%20Vs%20Sephia%20front.jpg

But according to their specs found online ~► Here, their Load Rate is 450 Lbs only, and Spring Rate is 110 Lbs only, which is pretty Low compared with the Sephia ones; they are too weak for the Sephia.

The same happens with the ones from the 2002 Corolla, they look pretty similar to the ones on the photo above, But according to their specs found online
~► Here, their Spring Rate increases in one pound only; and despite that their Load Rate goes up, it still is lower than the ones for the Sephia; in fact, people in Honduras use the Sephia coil springs on those Corollas, as an "Upgrade" to handle better the loads on our bad roads.

• Like 1

The front coil springs for the '93 ~ '00 Nissan Sentra, are also closer in specs, size and shape, to the Kia Sephia's front coil springs; their part numbers are "Nissan 54010-52Y04" or "Moog-80440" and despite of them being taller by having 1.5 more turns on their wire, the Nissan ones are still weaker than the Kia ones.

~► http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1063735&cc=1316863&jsn=782

I continued searchin' and among the similar sized and shaped ones that I found, like the Ford Focus ones, which sadly were weaker than the Kia Sephia ones; I noticed that the Rear coil springs out from a Toyota 4Runner, could fit in the place of the Kia Sephia's front coil springs; despite of having a slightly increased diameter, they fit on the Shock Absorber's perch; however the Toyota 4Runner ones are Variable Rate, but sadly they're also weaker than the ones from the Kia Sephia's front.

4Runner%20rear%20Vs%20Sephia%20front%202

I bet that the people at the offroading Toyota 4Runner community, might get some benefit by swapping the Kia Sephia's front coil springs on the Rear of their Toyota 4Runners...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

So, I conclude my investigation on Coil Springs' alternatives, by stating that the only ones that I found, that has an slightly increased Load Rate, increased Spring Rate, and almost identical overall measurements to the front ones on the Second gen Kia Sephia; are surprisingly, the front ones from the First gen Kia Sephia. Let me Show you:

Comparison%20Between%20Sephias%20coil%20

I really want a pair of the Moog81016, but sadly, I can not find new ones locally, nor want to obtain Used ones, which should be already more worn out than the ones that the "KiaStein" already have; and I can not afford to bring a brand new Set from USA to Honduras...

So, now is Time for my Plan "B"  ...  :burnout: 

Other motivation is that we wanted it to be Taller, like my Subaru; not only to gain ground clearance, but also because we obtained this Kia, already with a set of 8" wide, 15" wheels, which miraculosly, came with the Proper offset.

16%20Wheels.jpg

And we use it with 205/60 15 Tires, which means an increased tallness on Tires:

17%20Tire%20Size%20Comparison.jpg

The tires rubbed against the inner side of the Wheel well on the Fender,
during acute Turns, with this results, which we want to Avoid:

11%20Tire%20Damage.jpg

This is my "Plan B"

1%201frac14%20Solid%20Aluminium%20Spacer

To use a pair of Solid Aluminium (industrial grade) Spacers, made in Honduras.

I took the Measurements in order to avoid going too tall, nor forcing the angle on the elements of the Suspension nor the drivetrain; and then, I asked a local industrial lathe shop, to make that pair for me.

I had to obtain a new pair of Strut top Mounts, because the old ones on the "KiaStein" already were worn out; their Box says that the Brand is "Tenacity" supposed to be Made in Japan:

2%20Strut%20Mount.jpg

And their part number, states that it is for a Ford Telstar / Mazda 626 \ Kia Credos, but also for the Kia Sephia, up to the 2000 Year model, because the 2001 Sephia and newer 2001 ~ 2004 Kia Spectra, uses a similar part, but has a Ball Bearing built-in, so it is Not compatible.

Have you ever wondered, how a Strut Tower looked like from underneath?

8%20Under%20the%20Strut%20Tower.jpg

You must be Aware, that the second gen Kia Sephia, comes from factory with strut top mounts, that are uncentered; so despite of being inside a square, their round center is nearest to one of the sides; making it to be a Camber Correction capable design; so you can install the strut top mounts, with the strut center being closer to the inside (engine) or backwards, with the strut center being nearest to the Outside (Fender); see:

9%20Camber%20Correcting%20Strut%20Tops.j

These Spacers still allows the Camber Correction gained by Rotating the mounts.

This is How the Spacers looks like on the engine's bay, once installed:

10%20Spacer%20installed.jpg

Sorry but the "KiaStein" was pretty Dusty and Dirty after this procedure.

It is very important to mention, that the elongated struts (with this lifting blocks) doesn't fit on the Control Arms, with the Ball Joint placed Under the control arm, as it comes from factory; so, in order to keep the front suspension's Geometry as close to factory specs possible; I moved the ball joint from being under the control arm, to be placed over the control arm; it is pretty easy to do, and does not require to adapt anything; you just use the same hardware, only changing the ball joint's position by move it up.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Prior to the whole lifting adventure, the "KiaStein" sat with the wheel wells, at ~ 24.50" on the Rear, and ~ 25.25" on the front; but the wheel well is round and taller on the front; the rear design is more flat, somehow; so, despite of having different measurements, the car sat equally then...

...and Now; after this Lifting procedures, the Rear and the front are equally lifted, if you measure the mere ground clearance and the vehicle's floor pan, rear and front are equal, despite that the wheel well is taller in front; it almost reaches 27" in front...

12%20Wheel%20Well%20Tallness.jpg

...and the Rear's wheel well is half inch less taller, but the suspension is lifted equally. Don't let that the wheel well's design fools you.

After I did all this, I found that you can find Polyurethane lifting Blocks -Spacers-, for the second gen Sephia (among other brands) at the Aftermarket parts' stores; but I doubt that such a plastic could last too much in our crazy roads and offroads that we have in Honduras...

13%20Aftermarket%20Polyurethane%20Spacer

More info here:
~► http://sibreztech.ru/index.php?productID=4717

Tomorrow I plan to take it to an Alignment shop, to let them check and align it; also I want to wash it clean and be Ready, in case we go somewhere far on this incoming Holy Week vacations...

The very first thing that I noticed today while driving the Lifted "KiaStein" is, that the Steering wheel became much Softer than what it used to be, and the front feels lighter, somehow. I bet that I'll need to adjust the Headlamps' beam...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo