Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

The Four Speed Electronic Automatic Transmission (4EAT) found on the Kia Sephia, has Two Speed Sensors; one is the "Vehicle Speed Sensor" and the other is the "Turbine Speed Sensor".

The Vehicle Speed Sensor sends the Speed Reading to the Speedometer and feedback the Transmission with the Vehicle's Speed, in order to Aid the Transmission's Computer to do the Proper Shifts for the current vehicle's Speed. The Vehicle Speed Sensor works with Gears and transform the Spin movement to electronic readings.

The Turbine Speed Sensor is Feedback for the Transmission itself and it is Gearless, it works with acoustic Signals.

Here, you can easily find where are they Located on the Second Gen ('98 ~ '01) Kia Sephia.

(however, this info Might apply to other vehicles that has the Same Transmission, use it at your Own Risk)

Obsoletely! I always change oil when it is at operation temperatures (Motor oil, Gear oil, ATF) It surely helps remove more dirt when hot, that may not come out when the oil is cool.

Be Careful when you remove the Old, Dirty ATF oil with the Seafoam "Trans-Tune" detergent, because is better to do that while the ATF is still at Normal Operating Temperatures ... which means it could be Very Hot and Dangerous.

... I Went to the

Local Kia Dealer and purchased a brand new...

KiaGearSet-Speedo2.jpg

...Vehicle Speed Sensor for my Kia, This is the Part Number on Kia...

KiaGearSet-Speedo1.jpg

...Remember that I Wrote that Kia shares a Lot of Parts with other Brands?

Here is the Same part Number, but found on the Hyundai Dealer...

HyundaiGearSet-Speedo.jpg

...it was more expensive, so I Choosed the Kia one. ;)

The Turbine Speed Sensor (TSS)

used on the Sephia's Automatic  Transmission:

TransmissionSpeedSensorTSS.jpg

it also sends the RPM's Signal for the Tachometer

and the Computer, to control shifting behaviour.

it is located below the Air Filter Box...

HPIM1268.jpg

... I Removed it for ...

HPIM1275.jpg

... Clean it, its wirings' plug, and ...

TurbineSpeedSensor2.jpg

...do an Electronic Test of it, as Follows:

TurbineSpeedSensorResistance.jpg

the Resistance should be Between 300 and 400 ohms, 

The TSS on the "KiaStein" was Alright.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Does this sensor tell the Transmission when to enter "Torque Converter Lock-up" to produce "Over-drive"? As Over-Drive usually engages at high-way speeds of 50-55mph+ with steady throttle.

The Turbine Speed Sensor is Feedback for the Transmission itself and it is Gearless, it works with acoustic Signals.
Edited by TheLoyale

Well, somehow yes... but remember that the 4EAT has its own ECU that electronically controls everything on the Transmission.

Both Speed Sensors are attached to the Transmission by a single M 10 Screw, found on each sensor.

Mispelled Word, Fixed! ;)

SOLVED!

The O/D Blinkin' Light and the Check Engine Light Dissapeared, also my Sephia's Speedometer Works Fine.

Now the Speedometer stays Rock Solid on the Number, and Goes Up or Down with Speed.

So, That's it! ;)

How could I describe "Smoother than Smooth"?

Some days ago, my dad was talking with me about my recent repair jobs, and talking about the Sephia's automatic transmission, he said that there is a small amount of the Old ATF Oil plus the Seafoam "Trans-Tune" Detergent that remains on the Trans, and he said that I should remove a Quart of the New Oil and pour a Lucas a special Automatic Transmissions' Oil Additive.

A day after that, my dad gave me, as a Gift; a Bottle of This:

7120000_lco_10009_pri_larg.jpg

Lucas' Automatic Transmissions Fix Oil Additive.

I Removed a Quart of the ATF Oil and Poured it on the Sephia's 4EAT...

The Thing Runs even Smoother than ever.

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

As I Said...

... I had to use the Sephia's engine Valve Cover, because the Spectra's engine came without the Oil filler Cap, and the Older cap does Not match the New one.

...but that is not a Good Idea after all.

Why? ... Well, the Valve Cover of the Sephia engine worked on the Spectra Engine, but after the first moths of use, I Noticed that it "Sweated" oil from the Gasket between the Valve Cover and the Head...

That is not exactly a "Leak" but the engine had somehow to accumulate some oil around that area, so after six months of use, I Changed the Gasket between the Valve Cover and the Head.

The Spectra engine on my Wife's Sephia has been Working flawlessly since the Swap, that Oil sweat is not a big issue... but it started to show again, even with the brand new Gasket; after all these months.

Maybe the tolerances & measurements are not completely identical between the Sephia's Valve Cover and the Spectra's Valve Cover; so I Decided to Buy another Brand New Valve cover's Gasket and the Missing Oil Filler Cap for the Spectra's engine original Valve Cover, and do the Install.

So, today's afternoon, I Removed the Sephia's Valve Cover from the Spectra engine...

OldValveCoverGasket.jpg

...here you can see the Sephia's Valve Cover, just removed;

also the Gasket that has white tint is the one that I've placed some months ago, the white thing is Silicone.

The other Gasket is the one that the Spectra's Cover had when I removed it during the Engine Swap.

Also I Removed the Old Sparkplugs that I Installed since the Engine Swap; all of them looked like this one:

BujiasKiaSephia-UnaodeUso.jpg

I Use Denso "U-Groove" Twin Electrode Spark Plugs, I placed a fresh set of the Same ones there.

Part Nº K16TR11 (3194)

~► Amazon.com: Denso (3194) K16TR11 Traditional Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive

I Know the T8D engine shall use the K20TR11 Sparkplugs, but I have not found them here... Yet.

And this is the Brand New Oil Filler Cap, with its part Number, as it came from the Dealer:

TapondeAceite.jpg

Finally, this is How the Engine Looks like, with its Original (Spectra) Valve Cover:

NewValveCover.jpg

This valve cover fits better...

is the Original one and the Spectra's engine has a Better Designed PCV Valve:

Fully Metallic and it Screws directly on a metallic thread to the Cover. :D

Also I Painted the Plastic Cover with Rustoleum Special Enamel for Plastics.

~► RustOleum.com

Kind Regards.

My Wife's 2000 Sephia runs with a 2003 Spectra engine, with the Original intake & Exhaust manifolds from the Sephia bolted on, as you can read about that,

~► Here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105337&page=9

But both Catalytic converters were clogged and since those are not Legally required here, in my Country; I decided to get Rid of them.

Please, see the Followin' Pictures to Understand How I Did that:

Here you can see the Catalytic Element inside the Round Box:

HidenCat5-EvenCloser.jpg

I Removed it using a Sledgehammer and Chisel,

Here you can see chunks of it:

HidenCat6-Chunks.jpg

It also has some sort of Nest, which was removed using long pliers,

This is How the Empty Box Looks Like:

HidenCat7-EmptyBox.jpg

The Car now has a Beautiful Deep Sound, like a Turbo Muffler's Sound but it is Deeper but not Louder...

Maybe Because the Empty Round Box actuates as a Resonator, Somehow.

That Rich Deep sound is with a Common Muffler, not anything Special.

The Fuel Consumption has dropped a little :D

and I have No Codes related to that! icon14.gif

The only code that Lit the "Check Engine" Light, was due to a Low Operating Temperatures: I Run the Engine without Thermostat.

Kind Regards.

I Made a very Short video just to let you Hear the Spectra's T8D Engine / Exhaust Sound, without Both Catalytics and having a resonator and a Standard Muffler on a 2" pipe:

The sound is not loud at all, but the Camera's Microphone was very close to the Exhaust tip, which makes you to believe it was Loud.

You'll Notice that it doesn't has the Typical L4 Engine's Rasp sound, just a Deep note.

The empty pre catalytic Chamber on the Exhaust manifold, plus the Resonator on the pipe, keeps the Deep Tone even Deeper and not too loud.

Kind Regards.