Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with struts and shock absorbers....

Hello,

I recently brought my 96 Legacy Wagon into a GMC shop to have snow tires put on. The tech there told me that the rear struts were 'leaking fluid' and that I would need to have them replaced.

Does he mean I would need a strut or a shock absorber or what? He showed me the torn boots but I'm a little confused. They would not do a wheel alignment citing the 'weak struts'. They estimated $670.29 for two rear struts replaced.

Thanks for help/info,

Damien

well it can be done much cheaper, i'd probably fix mine for about $50-$75. you were fine with the struts on there before they said anything, go ahead and install another used set, they don't fail frequently enough to warrant exorbitant prices like that.

buy a set of used strut assemblies (complete strut, coils, the entire assembly) for about $35 a piece and install those. you might even be able to post in the parts wanted forum here and have someone with a parts car send you a set. i have one rear, but not two.

they're super easy to replace too, hardly anything to it. once the wheel is off it's all of 5 nuts and it all comes out as one assembly. can probably bue both sides in an hour.