Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Subaru Loyale Driveshaft

you actually can replace the U-joints on the shafts. Kind of a p.i.t.a. to get the old one out and the new one in. works easier if you have a hydraulic press. but it you can do it..

Didn't put the car down though. Since its FWD until you kick the 4WD in, you can still drive it.

-Justin

The original U-joints were not *meant* to be replaced but it can be done. They are staked in place and so they take a bit of work to get out. The replacement's are actually for a Toyota. Any driveline shop should be able to get them and many driveline shops can do the replacement although there have been reports that some refuse to work on the EA82 shaft's

They are common as dirt in the yards though so it's often easier to just get a used shaft. They don't fail very often.

GD

It's been discussed before on the board. Do a search - with the info you have now you should be able to pull up relevent threads on this topic. I don't know which Toyota's they come from - I know there's a part number floating around in some threads here though.

Personally I use single-peice driveline's based on the EA81 shafts so I've never had to replace an EA82 u-joint. If you are so inclined, you can get an EA81 shaft, have it's tube lengthened to fit the EA82 tranny and then install new u-joints.

GD

our driveline shop up here uses mazda ujoints on the Ea82s. They were actualyl fairly cheap. 40 dollars a u joint. thats parts and labor. When one fo mine goes out, Io'm going to have them replace both of them just for the hell of it. and it is a greaseable u joint! woot

lol