Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best tire for 14" pugs with no lift or trimming?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlPhil

AlPhil

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • San Francisco

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hello,

I've done extensive searching on this subject within USMB and have come up with very mixed conclusions.

I have a 92 Loyale wagon and some 14" pug steel wheels. What is the largest/best tire with no trimming, bashing or lifting? I will be using the car in the snow and very mild off-road to trailheads.

I was looking at the Cooper Discoverer Radial LT's in 195/75 R14(25.5" diameter).

If I'm not doing any hardcore off-roading could I get away with the General Grabber AT2's in 27X8.5 R14?

Any thoughts on these two tires with the above set up? Or any other tires that are recommended?

Thanks for help,
AL

Edited by AlPhil, 06 November 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

27's you will be cutting and using a BFH. the 195's might fit without a lift but they are going to rub in the rear when you put weight in the back.

#3 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 809 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

You need to stay under 25"....I had 25.4" tires on my '91 bone stock loyale,and they occasionally rubbed. Not bad,but any is too much. I went to a 24.4" and they are perfect.

Use the Miata tire calculator (google it) or some other and just enter the numbers for the tires your interested in. If the Dia. is less than 25",you should be fine.

27's are out of the question,completly.

#4 AlPhil

AlPhil

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • San Francisco

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the advice, so to even fit 25.5" tires I would need to do a 2-inch lift?

#5 AlPhil

AlPhil

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • San Francisco

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:37 PM

Does anyone have any experience with or comments about Mastercraft Glacier-Grip II Tires?
They are 185 /75 R14 (24.9" diameter). They look like they would do alright for mild off-roading and obviously snow.

#6 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:49 AM

great winter tire. If u get them studded I prefer them over blizzaks. they are cheaper and slightly harder rubber so the last longer on pavement. for "mild offroading" basically just like a all terrain tire. they arent set up for cleaning tread if u were in mud.

If you want a good winter/offroad tire. BFG Trailmaker plus 1 or 2. I run 2's on my car (the older style) I've used them for 5 years now summer and winter and I love them.

#7 AlPhil

AlPhil

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • San Francisco

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Unfortunately the trailmaker's have been discontinued. Any place to find them? Or any other tire that is comparable and still on the market?

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Find a local dealer, and start calling around. The cooper discoverer STT's were discontinued in 205/75R14... which is the size I was looking for (on a lifted subaru, so dont try it stock).

Anyhow, after finding that out... i looked in my yellow pages and found 7 Cooper Tire dealers in my city. I called each one, and found a shop who happend to have four old 205/75R14 Cooper Discoverer STT's (the exact tire i was looking for) sitting in his shop collecting dust.

$350 later I had the set of 4, and they were mounted & ballanced for me.

Don't expect us to do all the dirty work for you. Telephone systems, although not as state of the art as the internet, still exists and still work pretty damn good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users