Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best tire for 14" pugs with no lift or trimming?

Hello,

I've done extensive searching on this subject within USMB and have come up with very mixed conclusions.

I have a 92 Loyale wagon and some 14" pug steel wheels. What is the largest/best tire with no trimming, bashing or lifting? I will be using the car in the snow and very mild off-road to trailheads.

I was looking at the Cooper Discoverer Radial LT's in 195/75 R14(25.5" diameter).

If I'm not doing any hardcore off-roading could I get away with the General Grabber AT2's in 27X8.5 R14?

Any thoughts on these two tires with the above set up? Or any other tires that are recommended?

Thanks for help,

AL

Edited by AlPhil

You need to stay under 25"....I had 25.4" tires on my '91 bone stock loyale,and they occasionally rubbed. Not bad,but any is too much. I went to a 24.4" and they are perfect.

Use the Miata tire calculator (google it) or some other and just enter the numbers for the tires your interested in. If the Dia. is less than 25",you should be fine.

27's are out of the question,completly.

great winter tire. If u get them studded I prefer them over blizzaks. they are cheaper and slightly harder rubber so the last longer on pavement. for "mild offroading" basically just like a all terrain tire. they arent set up for cleaning tread if u were in mud.

If you want a good winter/offroad tire. BFG Trailmaker plus 1 or 2. I run 2's on my car (the older style) I've used them for 5 years now summer and winter and I love them.

Find a local dealer, and start calling around. The cooper discoverer STT's were discontinued in 205/75R14... which is the size I was looking for (on a lifted subaru, so dont try it stock).

Anyhow, after finding that out... i looked in my yellow pages and found 7 Cooper Tire dealers in my city. I called each one, and found a shop who happend to have four old 205/75R14 Cooper Discoverer STT's (the exact tire i was looking for) sitting in his shop collecting dust.

$350 later I had the set of 4, and they were mounted & ballanced for me.

Don't expect us to do all the dirty work for you. Telephone systems, although not as state of the art as the internet, still exists and still work pretty damn good.