Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I lost my Fist gear hold ability to some nice snow donuts

I was out spinning donuts in the snow, having fun with my four wheel drive, i had the car in first hold (this is a 4eat electronically shifted auto tranny on an 89 gl) and at about 5k rpm it shifted into second. It won't shift back into first, it does every once in a while, but shifts out at normal shift rpm. It's no big deal, car still goes into first in normal drive and all, but it would be kinda nice to have that back. Did i trip a saftey feature on the car that keeps idiots like me form hi-revving the car or what? is it resetable?

Thanks alot

Dan

Originally posted by subiemech85

you've got it all wrnong, you may have over-heated

next time 4XLow, second gear

There is no 4X Low on a 4EAT.

I believe the 1st gear hold is electronically controlled.

Perhaps testing the switch would be a good place to start.

Caleb is correct, it is electronic, but it does more than hold 1st gear, it also modifies the hydraulic line pressure in the transmission control circuits.

The TCU (Transmission Control Unit) is programed to force a shift if a certian RPM is exceeded. This puppy has many sensors and solenoids to control it's operation.

Let it cool off over night and see if it returns. Heat is a killer of these trannys, Subaru may have known this and that is why it has an over temp light (ever seen one on another make automotive tranny?) cross your fingers.

If a duty solenoid or other sensor has failed, the "POWER" light will flash upon start up. This is the TCU's way of telling you something is knackered. The FSM shows a way of getting the error code from the TCU.

You may want to post over on the New Gen board as they have many many more 4EATs than we old schoolers do

(thus the "put it in low range" comment)

A power flush of the tranny fluid would probably be an ounce (well few liters) of prevention but too late for a cure.

Sorry, you probably have not read this far, but I hope it explains some things.

i know on every auto matic vehicle i have ever driven, if you put it in 1st, it will shift when either the sensors on the tranny or ecu tell it that its too high of rpms for that gear.. thats a safety feature built into 99% of auto trannies.. keeps people from blowin the car up..

although my 3at didn't shift even at redline when it was put into 1st gear manually..

i also know the old xt6 i had would shift if you pushed it hard enough.. and the trans temp light only came on once.. goin up a 12,000 ft pass with over 1500lbs loaded on the car (including 2 people).. this was prolly because it was so loaded the car didn't have enough power to get out of first gear, lol 10mph max speed (got passed by a geo).. let it cool off and it was fine..

well, this happened about a month ago, i've just been to lazy to want to worry about it. And as for my "power" light, it flashes on startup every time, and is on all the time when in drive. My boss at Smart Service tells me that part of it is due to an elctrical problem. I am able to get the car into first gear every once in a while, and it'll hold up past normal shift point ocasianaly, but as soon as i lean on the gas and hit about 4,500 it drops gears, is the saftey set to really that low? i'v had it higher than that before this proble, occured. It used to go into first no matter what, and not shift till i hit that button.

Thank you for your help

Dan

Well Dan, you do not seem overly concerned, ask Mike for the FSM and look up how to get the TCU to tell you what solenoid/sensor is not making the trip.

I doubt it will leave you DIW (Dead In the Water) butya never know,

if the hydr. system pressure goes totally toast, you atleast have a knowledgeable service center to replace the unit.

As always, sorry I couldn't help and good luck