Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99lego lifted at last.....bumper too! now with STRUT BLOCK PICS!

99lego

Hello all..........

Where to start...... :banana:

I've been unable to spend any time in front of the computer as of recent, but I wanted to share the excellent fabrication that went into my car last week.

(MODS PLEASE TAKE NOTICE)

Im not going to take the time to post this build so that those who have nothing better to do than watch their post # get bumped up to the next echelon reply with any slanderous banter. :horse:

Comments are appreciated, but, please keep it constructive. If you are here to bad mouth my friends with your replies don't expect to illicit a response from yours truly as I wont waste my time with you.....I'd rather do man things like split some wood or hang out with your mom. :brow:

Not to say that the inevitable thread hijack wont occur....to that I'd like to say: turn of the computer, take off the sweats and slippers, and get some fresh air.:burnout:

These are all build pics, ill have road pics once i get my forrester 16's out of storage and new 205's put on.

Lastly:

Thanks to everyone involved with the build from Mudrat Designs and Coyote Steel in Eugene to RALLITEK in Portland (for sourcing that skid plate).zzz:Flame::headbang:

:popcorn::drunk::banghead::D:-p

before:

IMG_0023.jpg

custom 2" strut blocks.....the strut top hats sit perfectly flush inside these steel pieces. There are 20 2" square blocks that the unibody sits on.

IMG_0085.jpg

the bumper wont sit comfortably without trimming a bit of the fat

IMG_0040.jpg

here's the bumper (custom welded) mounted after coming back from the powdercoater. the skid plate, apparently the last one left in the states, was sourced through rallitek. and that near vertical piece of aluminum was tig welded onto the skid.

IMG_0115.jpg

Runs grrrrrrreat! and rides very nice on four brand new outback KYB GR2's....just swapped the springs off the lego.

Fronts

IMG_0107.jpg

Rears

IMG_0109.jpg

Edited by 99lego
1'st: verb noun agreement 2'nd: FONT change 3'rd: I can't spell 4'th more pics

Nice bumper.

I did the strut blocks but no drivetrain drop.

Has worked great except for some bind in the rear trailing arms,made drop mounts and it solved the problem.

Really like the bumper,did you make provisions for a winch?

I'm shopping around for a winch. nothing too fancy....not like ill be yanking out anything bigger than a civic coupe with the legacy. more like for getting me out of stuck places. any thoughts?

oh yeah the lego is getting 215 65 16 put on it right now. pics tonight.

doesn't look like there is any angle to those blocks.

Hope you don't have camber issues.

Otherwise, nice job.

yep, my thoughts too. Very good copy of the Aussy Hi-Rise blocks. Did you get the camber and toe back into spec? Doesn't look like 2" should present problems that can't be fixed.

:banana:

yep, my thoughts too. Very good copy of the Aussy Hi-Rise blocks. Did you get the camber and toe back into spec? Doesn't look like 2" should present problems that can't be fixed.

it got a four wheel alignment on Wednesday. Everything was within spec and got tweeked a little to make it perfect. The rears were little worse off than the front, but only by .08.

At 55 it sort of felt like the time my GL went from wagon wheels onto the 13" "rally" alloys that I grabbed at the yard. :eek::slobber::eek:

IMG_0950.jpg

Time will tell just how bad the camber was, is, or will be.

Uh…the speedo is off just a touch…2 or 3 mph which was expected. It's rolling on 27" of rubber now and it just eats up potholes that would have otherwise shaken your crowns loose rolling around on the Potenza's the 15" had on them.

Does it seem like paper bags are getting smaller to you? That one is only 14" tall.

1258608302.jpg

1258648245.jpg

1258656314.jpg

Edited by 99lego

Awesome lego.Is it just me or do the later gens not look nearly as massive as when an older subaru is rolling on the bigger tires?

I have an 83 GL with a 2" lift rolling on 235/75/15's and it looks massive

heres a pic of my current daily driver parked behind the lifted one to get an idea.

DSCF0032.jpg

heres another pic of the lifted subaru after playing last time

Picture004.jpg

Don't get me wrong. Your lego looks awesome.Its just with those tires it looks like the hieght that subaru should have made them in the first place.

Or maybe it is just me. :lol:

Don't get me wrong. Your lego looks awesome.Its just with those tires it looks like the hieght that subaru should have made them in the first place.

Or maybe it is just me. :lol:

well you could go bigger without issues. Up to 10"....I mean I've seen ob's that tall…

1258796543.jpg

Edited by 99lego

So......you added 2inch blocks to the top of Outback Struts? On a standard legacy?

That means your wheels are 4 inches+ further "down" from the body than witht eh original geometry.

I would be concerned that is too much lift to the top of the stuts wihtout spacing down the subframes.(espescially with no camber compensation)

Let us know how your CV joints hold out. It would be nice to see some pics of you're CV angles and Camber angles after the lift.

Could you take some shots looking dead center from down low front and rear?

1258596492.jpg

I'd almost paint that front bumper white to match the rest of the car. It could just be the pictures, but it has that "whole lot of BYPASSING THE CUSS FILTER IS BAD, I'M A BAD PERSON FOR DOING IT!!! missing" up front kind of look. It would show better and it wouldn't have that everyday tube front bumper look. Just a thought, love the lift, car is sweet!

Edited by Zap

So......you added 2inch blocks to the top of Outback Struts? On a standard legacy?

That means your wheels are 4 inches+ further "down" from the body than witht eh original geometry.

I would be concerned that is too much lift to the top of the stuts wihtout spacing down the subframes.(espescially with no camber compensation)

Let us know how your CV joints hold out. It would be nice to see some pics of you're CV angles and Camber angles after the lift.

Could you take some shots looking dead center from down low front and rear?

Damn straight it's that tall.....it wasn't easy either. Like I said before....camber and toe are

true.

1259135515.jpg

side by side ob & lego steering knuckles....before it got chopped.

1259135690.jpg

She's got 135k on her og cv shaft (pass side). I'll let you know when I break it.

Just put these piaas on.

1259080879.jpg

1259080811.jpg

Edited by 99lego
Talking some junk

side by side ob & lego steering knuckles....before it got chopped.

1259135690.jpg

So, then you did block down the subframes to match the lift on the top of hte struts. How large a block did you use on the subframe/ crossmememer? And did you block down the Control arm pivot as well?

If you had just shoved OB struts and a 2 inch spacer on the top, you'd be having issues.

So, then you did block down the subframes to match the lift on the top of hte struts. How large a block did you use on the subframe/ crossmememer? And did you block down the Control arm pivot as well?

If you had just shoved OB struts and a 2 inch spacer on the top, you'd be having issues.

Yes as stated on page one of the thread the unibody sits on 20 2" steel blocks. That includes the pivot points on the contol arm.

1259199610.jpg

The rear anti-sways have 2" custom steel linkages as well. Sorry no pics as of right now.