Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej22 rebuild

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

my motor needs an over bore. anyone know some good prices for oversize pistons?

done so far is
crank is gone over- its ok
cams are now delta street grind or whatever they called them.
head resurface and good valve job
might consider head porting if there is any benefit. ive done it before and have experience.

so i am left with some questions.
is there any room to deck the block on these motors?
all the head stud kits say DOHC on the box-is my SOHC available? id love to run head studs! much less to worry about.
my water pump! it was in excellent shape when i took it off, and looks like a recent replacement. im not sure i want to buy a new one. :-\
what about rod bolts. the stock ones seem pretty lame. is it a good idea to run aftermarket stronger rod bolts?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

coolness you're doing a full on rebuild.

wanting head studs and rod bolts....but want to keep the water pump? that sounds interesting, i'd just replace it since it's been apart and sitting. but EJ water pumps are rather robust so unlikely to have issues.

i would suggest considering a new Subaru water pump if it's an interference EJ22 (1997 and up unless you modify it enough to make earlier ones interference by decking the block).

the EJ blocks are quite durable. stock ones handle boost just fine so anything more than stock is overkill for normally aspirated, but sure tear it up if you want to go for it and try beefing it up.

not sure on DOHC studs, if they'd be the same or different as SOHC.

should be lots of EJ parts places out there...Perrin comes to mind. Ram performance has EA stuff and may have EJ sources?

sounds like a fun project, good luck with it!

#3 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

well i want to deck it mostly for surface finish. im mostly wanting to know how much subaru permits?
as far as fasteners goes-i think its money well spent-as its too late to change them after its together.
i was actually thinking of Scat H beam rods for this motor, but decided they were too nice.

#4 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

hi im wondering since apparantly ARP makes just the 2 head studs that the phase 2 ones are the same for the phase one?

http://www.cnc-motor...asp?CtgID=27757

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users