Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my motor needs an over bore. anyone know some good prices for oversize pistons?

done so far is

crank is gone over- its ok

cams are now delta street grind or whatever they called them.

head resurface and good valve job

might consider head porting if there is any benefit. ive done it before and have experience.

so i am left with some questions.

is there any room to deck the block on these motors?

all the head stud kits say DOHC on the box-is my SOHC available? id love to run head studs! much less to worry about.

my water pump! it was in excellent shape when i took it off, and looks like a recent replacement. im not sure i want to buy a new one. :-\

what about rod bolts. the stock ones seem pretty lame. is it a good idea to run aftermarket stronger rod bolts?

coolness you're doing a full on rebuild.

wanting head studs and rod bolts....but want to keep the water pump? that sounds interesting, i'd just replace it since it's been apart and sitting. but EJ water pumps are rather robust so unlikely to have issues.

i would suggest considering a new Subaru water pump if it's an interference EJ22 (1997 and up unless you modify it enough to make earlier ones interference by decking the block).

the EJ blocks are quite durable. stock ones handle boost just fine so anything more than stock is overkill for normally aspirated, but sure tear it up if you want to go for it and try beefing it up.

not sure on DOHC studs, if they'd be the same or different as SOHC.

should be lots of EJ parts places out there...Perrin comes to mind. Ram performance has EA stuff and may have EJ sources?

sounds like a fun project, good luck with it!

well i want to deck it mostly for surface finish. im mostly wanting to know how much subaru permits?

as far as fasteners goes-i think its money well spent-as its too late to change them after its together.

i was actually thinking of Scat H beam rods for this motor, but decided they were too nice.