Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swapping out AT to MT...who has done it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thatswhatshesaid

thatswhatshesaid

Subaphilia

• Gold Subscribers
  • 736 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

(I've used the search function...perhaps I just didn't use the right terms...I can't find any threads about doing this in a newer car.)

I'm interested in swapping out the auto tranny in my 2000 Outback in favor of a 5-speed. Can anyone who's done this give me any insight on how difficult this project is, and any steps that might be overlooked by someone who hasn't done it yet? I don't know how much wiring (speed sensors, warning lights, etc) there is. And I don't know how hard it is to install the tranny-to-interior pieces (pedals, shifter, etc).

Anyone have experience?
Thanks, guys.
- Tyler

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

easiest way is to get a complete donor car (wrecked, missing engine, etc), it's usually really easy to do that cheap...same way you probably got the bad auto trans car?

piecing together something like this gets annoying when you start finishing off details like hoses, cables, clips, trim, bolts, screws, springs, etc.

it's a fair amount of work, i find removing the pedal assemblies quite annoying do yourself a favor and pull the steering column out of the way.

manual trans may have different final drive so make sure you get the rear diff if it is.

you'll need to decide if you want a hydraulic clutch or cable clutch as subaru had both in the EJ stuff.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,983 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

pedal box
clutch stuff (cable, or master cylinder, etc.)
driveshaft is a different length
rear diff
flywheel
starter
transmission
interior bits

it's not too bad. I've done it on GC imprezas a couple times. one time we pieced it together. definitely do-able.

#4 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

It was one of the first things I ever did to my XT-6. The pedal swap was the hardest part.

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,563 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

Here's my swap write-up. It is covers FWD to AWD, but should give you an idea of what's involved.

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users