Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More heater issues

vagen

I have an 88 RX I am having issues with airflow. here's my problem I turn the heat on and the fan runs heat comes out but very little air. I checked the Vac doors and they all work properly the fan runs at all speed settings. I'm suspecting an obstruction on the duct work. I am at a loss as to how to get to the inlet of the fan or the front of the cores without dismantling the car.

any help would be great.

I just pulled my ac due to an obstruction...Mice.. Between the fan and heater controls I found the fluffy padding and tones of moss all around the ac unit itself. Unfortunately, to get the ac box open I needed to dismantle the ac unit itself from the engine bay PITA. I'm working on a brat but it shouldn't be so different If you have slack in the ac lines into the engine bay you may be able to pull it forward enough to remove the clips holding the box together and put them back. If you dont have ac you will have no prob. just open the console remove the glove box and pop the conector tube from the fan to the airbox. You can see whats wrong from there if its an obstruction. Now if its the control unit itself you need to remove the center console as well as the drivers knee cover thingie. On my wagon one of the heat control cables, like a bicycle cable but the push variety, cracked, so It would hold the flapper arm in between settings so it could seem like an obstruction. From there you get the idea, Just run through the controls while you watch the mechanisms to see what works.