Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire chain size question

When I bought a '91 Legacy about 18 months ago(for my sister, and it left Colorado for Chicago), it came with a set of tire cable chains. Stock tire size on that car is 185/70/14. I kept the chains, as they are illegal in Illinois. Will they safely fit on the Brat's tires of 185/70/13? I know nothing of chains, since I'm from the midwest where they are outlawed. I do know that throwing a chain would be a bad thing though.

Cables aren't worth the metal they are made from. They might fit, but you are better off getting a set of real chains. A few miles and those things will fly apart for sure. Cables are really a last ditch emergency sort of deal.

GD

I agree with you and disagree with at the same time GD.

My parents run cables on their FWD cars for mail delivery and they usually last

a few weeks before they self destruct.

And these are 50-100 mile routes they run.

But I agree with you on the fact that cables aren't really even worth the

time to put them on.

I know chains will last longer but you are risking, if they do break, of

annihilating your fender and wheel wells.

Where as cables are less like to cause severe damage as they lack the

"Teeth" that chains have.

And as for the OP's question, wrap them around one of your spares or jack

up the car and put them around a tire and squeeze them down as far as you

can and bungee them.

Then have a multitude of people yank on them, kick them and apply as much force as humanly possible and see if they come loose at all.

If they do loosen, I say don't run them.

If they're fine, run'em as long as you feel they're safe and not deteriorating.

Twitch

When I bought a '91 Legacy about 18 months ago(for my sister, and it left Colorado for Chicago), it came with a set of tire cable chains. Stock tire size on that car is 185/70/14. I kept the chains, as they are illegal in Illinois. Will they safely fit on the Brat's tires of 185/70/13? I know nothing of chains, since I'm from the midwest where they are outlawed. I do know that throwing a chain would be a bad thing though.

I suspect they are too large... but try them on the spare and see. If they have an adjustable link where they connect you may be able to connect them for a smaller diameter tire.

Outlawed? Here in Colorado, you can get very hefty fines for NOT having chains if you are commercial vehicle. I rarely use them on the pickup trucks because studded snows work pretty well in most circumstances and you can go faster than 25mph, but in certain conditions (deep snow usually) they really work well. Or if you have a 2wd truck, it makes it not completely undriveable when the roads get ice packed :)

Those tire chains MIGHT fit, but be aware that if they do, then the cable leader (that part that lets you adjust their size) will be fairly long and will likely try to shred your fender.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. Get yourself a second set of wheels and put some good winter tires on them and forget about chains. And if you REALLY want to have some fun, you put really good winter tires on the front and all-seasons on the back. That combo makes them REALLY tail-happy.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. Get yourself a second set of wheels and put some good winter tires on them and forget about chains.
I agree with this part of Scoobywagon's comments. I run quality studless snows on a separate set of rims and have had no issues getting stuck in the snow (during last winter's problems and worse).

Oddly enough, WA state law is funky on chains with an AWD car. Chains are required to be in your vehicle but not mounted on the wheels even when non-AWD cars have chains required on the car in our mountain passes. I throw a set in the back during the winter season and they've never been unpacked in the 10 years I've owned them.