Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subi-rear end

kmc63

thanks breeke. This guy told me the older stickers dont designate lsd or not lsd, The sticker on mine is much smaller than many newer ones I have seen.Just need to gather more info I read a page on the web that said according to the number mine is not lsd:mad:

Pull the rear cover and look. Clutch style LSD's will not have visible spider gears. VLSD's will, but you can still determine if it's an LSD or not.

If the sticker doesn't say LSD or VLSD in big letters.... it's an open diff unless someone has changed the guts (which is possible). Also - in order to put an older diff into a newer Subaru, somtimes you have to change the rear cover as the mounting studs are too short on the older one's. So the sticker might not even be for that diff if the covers been changed, etc.

GD

Do you even know what a LSD is or how it operates?

The easiest way to tell, is to spin one of the stub shafts while holding the input shaft still.

The opposite stub shaft will spin in the same direction if the diff is a LSD. If it is an open diff, the opposite stub shaft will spin in the opposite direction.

And i dont know who you bought this diff from... but EVERY SINGLE subaru LSD diff, is labeled "LSD" on the tag.

All of this information is readily available here, and on most Datsun sites as well.

Yes thankyou junkie,I know what an lsd is and how it operates. I was told the lsd was not activated until a certain amount of pressure is applied much more than you can create with your hand! (well maybe you could) And was also told some of the older diffs which were lsd werent necessarily printed on the sticker. This is why I gave the part#no. at the very beginning of the thread,can someone look it up. The only reference material I found says it is an open differential.

Its apparent you do not know how a limited slip operates.

It provides a limited amount of slip when TOO MUCH force is applied. If not enough force is applied (ie... by hand) than the clutch packs will NOT slip, and the diff will remain locked.

If you were to lock the input shaft, and lock one of the output shafts.... then force the opposite shaft to spin, it will slip. Its a Limited amount of slip, and depending on the condition of your clutch packs they will slip easily, or not at all.

Forget the part number. Go grab your differential, spin one of the stub shafts and see if the other spins in the opposite direction. NO MATTER WHAT if its any type of a limited slip or locker, the other stub shaft will always spin in the same direction. No matter how much force or how less force you apply.

If you still have questions, there's this great website that has been around for a while... http://www.google.com I suggest "how to identify a limited slip differential"

Best of luck.

Yes thankyou junkie,I know what an lsd is and how it operates. I was told the lsd was not activated until a certain amount of pressure is applied much more than you can create with your hand! (well maybe you could) And was also told some of the older diffs which were lsd werent necessarily printed on the sticker. This is why I gave the part#no. at the very beginning of the thread,can someone look it up. The only reference material I found says it is an open differential.

VLSD engages at speed..not like LSD that will engage while crawling...hence why people use LSD for wheeling cause you going slow...or supposed to..:P

VLSD's never were offered in EA82's. Only in 1991 with the Legacy Turbo. Maybe in some WRX's and Foresters too.

However, in '86 the only LSD that was available from Subaru was a clutch pack LSD.

right,

I'm just letting him know of the two...I doubt that he has either though

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. I was given some bad info through other sources and through all of your help have a much better understanding. I did'nt know all lsds are labeled as such(was told different) And a few other facts.But thanks again for setting me straight I am confident in my ability to distinguish the proper differential,thanks again