Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Valve Location & Vacuum Hose Problem : Help! Already Tried Search

Can't believe this but I have a 2001 Legacy. Try as I may I cannot locate the EGR valve. I also checked the vacuum line schematic under the hood and see no EGR. Is there an EGR on this car?

Also can anyone tell me if you have a CEL Code of P0420 Cat Code will the engine still run properly if it is not cleared?

I found a Vacuum Line broken off at the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Will this cause a P0420 Code?

Sorry for the moron questions but the last time I worked on cars I owned a 1977 280Z and it actually had a computer to control fuel injection. This was State Of The Art.

you mentioned something being wrong - a broken hose? fix what is broken first then clear the codes and progress from there.

why are you looking for the EGR? it's huge and attached to the rear of the drivers side head - close to the brake master cylinder, starter, that area.

Running condition is not affected at all by the check engine light itself.

Of course...if something is wrong it's possible to run bad and have a code. But just having a code does not mean the car will have any running problems, most of the time check engine lights come on with no other signs.

[...] Anyone know if the vacuum line that fell off the fuel pressure regulator could have caused this code?

Yes, it's possible for a disconnected FPR vacuum hose to trigger P0420. The lack of vacuum will cause excessive fuel pressure, which can lead to an overly rich mixture. That, in turn, can raise emissions beyond what the cat can handle, resulting in changes at the rear O2 sensor that the ECU interprets as a bad cat.

As has already been suggested, reconnecting the hose, clearing the code, and then seeing if it returns is the easiest way to verify whether that was the problem.

Anyone know if the vacuum line that fell off the fuel pressure regulator could have caused this code?
you've already been told the next steps and some questions were asked, I'd focus on following through on that. So yes, that's why i said the next step is to fix your problems and clear the code. trying to track a code with known issues is convoluted. hopefully you're lucky and it was that simple (yes that happens). :)