Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No they don't, can you send me the mirrors? :lol:

Just kidding, I already have a set.

HEATED MIRRORS IN FLORIDA? i'm going to recommend you be banned, that's just ridiculous. :banana::lol::grin::slobber: like you have any reason!

Actually mine are going in my 96 Legacy LSi and I haven't done it yet but my guess is they are not there. The good thing though is that it's really simple to wire, I think it's just one wire...two max? Either way it's really simple, get the body side plugs just to make it even simpler and smoother and the button which is part of the mirror control.

Is the MY96 OBW come pre wired with the heated outside mirrors options? I found a 99OBW with heated mirrors

Thanks

im not positive, but id be willing to bet that they are pre-wired. you'd just have to find the proper plug up under the dash for the switch (and get the switch from the parts car too) ive never tried it, but all other subarus ive had seem to be wired for all the optiions.. just blank plugs for the options you dont have

No they don't, can you send me the mirrors? :lol:

Just kidding, I already have a set.

HEATED MIRRORS IN FLORIDA? i'm going to recommend you be banned, that's just ridiculous. :banana::lol::grin::slobber: like you have any reason!

Actually mine are going in my 96 Legacy LSi and I haven't done it yet but my guess is they are not there. The good thing though is that it's really simple to wire, I think it's just one wire...two max? Either way it's really simple, get the body side plugs just to make it even simpler and smoother and the button which is part of the mirror control.

The mirrors fog when he pulls out of his air-conditioned underground subie lair...

Dave

The Outback is definitely wired for the heated mirrors. You will have to take the door panels off and get the wire that is taped to the mirror harness. Get it loose and the plug it into the mirrors and you will be golden. Good luck

WRONG -for a 99 at least.

The 99 OBW is NOT prewired on the door for heated mirrors, but it is pre-wired for Tweeters.

On my brothers outback, he bought a set of heated mirrors and switch at the junkyard for 25 bucks. Pulled off the door panels to install, found what we thought was the black plug connector, but turns out that black plug is for the optional tweeter. There was no white plug for the heated mirrors. NONE

had to take the mirrors back to junkyard and still have that credit to use.

I think I read on a site they stopped in the year 98 for having that, so your 96 might have it, but the 99 does not.

Don't flame on someone in Florida who wants heated mirrors. Read the post rules. If he wants heated mirrors, let him have them :)

Edited by bheinen74

It does frost over occasionally in FL, from what I've heard. I drive a Subie 'cause it occasionally snows around Albany NY (by snow, I mean 8+ inches in a single snowstorm... anything less is a dusting). If I can drive a Subie for that reason, he can have heated mirrors for his reason :).

As a side question for him, the mirrors on the '99 fold, right? And the ones on the '96 don't? Will they mount up, without a problem?

My '97 has the heated mirrors already, but they don't fold... I'd love to swap them out for a folding set.

i havent worked on them at all, but is there a seperate wire on cars with heated mirrors, or is it just one all inclusive plug? i would think that the plug has all wiring, as long as their the same plug. if the mirror isnt a heated mirror, that wire just sits idle in the plug.. i cant see subaru not pre-wiring for everything, its cheaper than designing 10 different wiring harnesses for their cars.

i havent worked on them at all, but is there a seperate wire on cars with heated mirrors, or is it just one all inclusive plug? i would think that the plug has all wiring, as long as their the same plug. if the mirror isnt a heated mirror, that wire just sits idle in the plug.. i cant see subaru not pre-wiring for everything, its cheaper than designing 10 different wiring harnesses for their cars.

Just dont confuse the tweeter wires with the heated mirror wires :)

nipper

I had a 99 OB and it came with the heated mirrors. If the car has the plug for the heated seats in the console, then it definitely has the heated mirror plug. You might have to dig for it, but I can assure you , it is there. Subaru just doesn't make that many harnesses.

For those who curious why I need heated mirrors in FL. The 96 OBW will be replacing the 95 that I used to go to MO & IL once or twice every year(moved down here couple of years now from MO) and some part of Midwest winter is just as bad as Northeast. So heated mirrors and seat warmer are great features if I can retrofit them into the 96 OBW.

I did check the door wiring harness and coundnt find any pre wire for heated mirror on driver side. I did see the little black plug for the tweeter.

Should I go back to JY and get the door wiring harness that come with heated mirrors?

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by pearlm30

i'd be tempted to look again. more often than not, when installing heated seats, the connectors for the switches are obvious, but he seat connectors are hidden under the carpet since they are not used. more than once some one has said "they aren't there" only to find them later.

maybe start at switch end to see if the wires are there. the 97 mirror switch is located on the mirror control / adjust, i'd start there. if the wires are not at the switch end then yes you will need the harness, if the wire are there, then you just need to find out how far they do go.

good luck.

well, I know may way around Subaru's pretty well.

And, on a 99 OBW without heated seats, w/o heated mirrors, there is NO plug harness on the door for the mirrors. There is a tweeter plug onl. I took apart the door and wiring harness of the door, NO PLUG for the heated mirror. I Do know that, and others have reported the same, for MY99

Edited by bheinen74

For those who curious why I need heated mirrors in FL. The 96 OBW will be replacing the 95 that I used to go to MO & IL once or twice every year(moved down here couple of years now from MO) and some part of Midwest winter is just as bad as Northeast.

Yeah.... I'll take the winters in Colorado any time. We get more snow, at wackier times, it seems, but we don't get those nasty ice and freezing slush storms and such that farther east gets.

So I decide to pull the door wiring harness out of the car MY 99 OBW in the junk yard.

Its not a direct retrofit since MY96 didnt have the central lock switch, heated mirror or the courtesy light, so I compare both and pull the wires out of the main plug and retrofit them that.

So basically MY 96 OBW manual trans was NOT prewired for heated mirror and courtesy light:eek::eek::eek:

but I got them to work using MY99 OBW.:banana::banana::banana:

Same here, I pulled the door panel and looked at the wiring harness of my 1997 GT and I saw no heated mirror plug. There was a plug, I guess for tweeters?

By courtesy lights - do you mean the lights down at the bottom corner of the door? The GT has those, but I found no heated mirror plug.

I also checked my 96 LSi for foglight connectors and it didn't have those.

Like i said. finally someone else also confirms.

thanks

Same here, I pulled the door panel and looked at the wiring harness of my 1997 GT and I saw no heated mirror plug. There was a plug, I guess for tweeters?

By courtesy lights - do you mean the lights down at the bottom corner of the door? The GT has those, but I found no heated mirror plug.

I also checked my 96 LSi for foglight connectors and it didn't have those.