Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sloppy shifter?

JackV

i have an EXTREMELY floppy shifter, Is there any way to tighten it up or anything? i can move the shifter in gear as if it were in neutral. It's hard to find fifth if i have a passenger because my had pretty much goes on there lap, it's pretty weird when your riding with another dude....

I have the same problem with my 86 GL 5spd d/r. Crawled underneath and saw the the bushing are basically gone, allowing all of the slop in the linkage. It annoyed the hell out of me for years because the stick shift would knock the plastic console sideways everytime I shifted. I went to the dealer and ordered parts on Friday last week. It takes at least 12 bushings for a total of about $65. You have to order one bushing for each side of the connecting bolt instead of one set that includes both. That is why you need so many. I can give you the part numbers if you have the same model.

Okay, keep in mind that I have an '86 GL 5spd with dual range 4wd. The part numbers, price and quantities that I needed:

633124170-4 pcs-$3.80 each

633124180-4 pcs-$6.82 each

633011330-2 pcs-$4.77 each

There are actually a few more bushings in there if your 4wd linkage is loose, but mine wasn't. I returned two other bushings and that saved me $12. Just using these 10 pcs made one heck of a difference. The Haynes manual actually has a very good exploded view of the linkages.