Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coolant Temp Sensor Q

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr_whirly

mr_whirly

Subarus

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Royersford, PA

Posted 03 February 2004 - 06:20 PM

Had a strange problem pop up today; '88 turbowagon- running great, I pull in for gas, fill tank, jump back in, no start.
Cranks over, spark is good, (plus new cap and rotor) -finally after 20 min it started, but runs very rough now. Check engine light on intermittant; fault code 21- which I believe is coolant temp sensor.
Anyone seen a bad temp sensor cause rough idle like this?

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 03 February 2004 - 06:41 PM

yes, it keeps the car from running aggressively enough to run very hot, since the sensor doesn't promise that it can tell the computer how hot the engine is. check the wiring pigtail on top of the sensor (inserts to the manifold vertically, near the PCV valve. i think the wires are green and white on my '86)
i've had the code come up from a sloppy wiring repair i did, improving the repair fixed the code. it could be the sensor itself as well of course.

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:12 PM

The contacts have a tendancy to get corroded and nasty.. pull the connector and clean the connections.

#4 mr_whirly

mr_whirly

Subarus

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Royersford, PA

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

Follow up: Yes the connector on the sensor was badly corroded.
I just went ahead and replaced the sensor ($17) and cleaned up the engine harness connector as best I could.
Runs great now
-thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users