Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just went to Midas to get an estimate on my brakes and they quted me $1200 for front pads and rotors and rear shoes/drums/cylinders. Plus an additional $800 for the front CV joints on my 95 Legacy wagon. This seems really steep, but I need to check with your guys - I don't know how to do it myself, so just getting parts isn't an option.

Anyone know any good Soobie mechanics in the Hardyston area of NJ?

Thanx,

Peter

I have a '97 OBW. Took it to Midas when I bought it used and had the brakes done. To make a long story short, I had them done twice more in 14 months. Decided to suck it up and get them done by the dealer. SURPRISE, they were not only cheaper, but they lasted over two years before being replaced. They were still good, I just redid my suspension and brakes at the same time.

EGADS thats HIGH.

Dealer replacement of swingshafts with CV ran me something like $300, new parts.... can't recall one or two- I think just one.

But brakes.... subaru brakes are real easy to do, pads and shoes'll be like $60, right? rotors will cost a bit... what do you think, $100 each? Doesn't take more than an hour or so, but the book might call for a little more.

And midas installs some junky parts.

I see ads for $79 per axle, most cars, for brakes. That's $160 for a brake job, 4 wheels. Probably just resurfacing the rotors. More for new ones.

Mike

I'm from NW NJ, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good subaru places around, but maybe I'm just a bit skeptical..

I'm still under warranty, and will be trying out the service department at morristown subaru, probably about an hour away from you (almost an hour for me too :( )

Brakes do look pretty easy to do if you're able, you should be able to get rotors cut for maybe 10 or 20 bucks a rotor, or 1stsubaruparts has new ones listed for about $70. I would think you'r drums are ok.

If all else fails, I would try to find a good inde. mechanic and provide them with the necessary parts, so you know they use the right ones. CV's and brakes should be pretty generic tasks..

Liberty Subaru in Ordell, back in the 1980's, opened another Subaru place in Sussex Cty, NJ, I think it was in Newton, NJ. One of the 2 brothers who own the entire dealership network, which now also includes Hyundai, moved out into Sussex at the time and still lives there. I would see if they are still there.

I live just 15 minutes from Liberty in Ordell, NJ. If you have ever been to Paramus (Mall capital of the world, used to be listed in the Guniess books), Liberty is only 5-10 minutes away.

within 20 miles of Hardyton are:

Salerno Duane Subaru

20 Route 206 N

Newton, NJ 07860

973-579-5000

Distance 9.5 miles

Loman Subaru

3469 Route 46

Parsippany, NJ 07054

973-335-1313

Distance 18.6 miles

Wayne Subaru

2204 Hamburg Tpke

Wayne, NJ 07470

973-835-4700

Distance 18.8 miles

I just did my front rotors / pads for 70 bucks (parts) in a cold garage in 45 minutes. I could of got brembo rotors and dealer pads for under 200 bucks. OK say midas is charging 600 per axle -

Parts - 100$ (they prolly pay 50$)

Labor - 500$ per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please never go there again, One of us could fly to your city take a limo to the parts store and your house, fix your brakes, stay at the Hilton, go out drinking, and still be way cheaper than that bunk!

One of us could fly to your city take a limo to the parts store and your house, fix your brakes, stay at the Hilton, go out drinking, and still be way cheaper than that bunk!

Me! Pick me!

I'll do your brakes for a deal like that.. and save you a couple hundred from what midas will charge:D

That Midas price is ROBBERY! Who do they think they are??????????????????????????????

I get so tired of this kind of GREED in the auto repair industry. Those prices border on criminal. You should write their corporate and give them some of your thoughts!

Todd

Well I called my dealer, which is Salerno Subaru and got quoted:

Of what I remember - didn't write it down:

$350 - labor

$160 - rotors

$75 - pads

$240 -drums

$190 - shoes

$70 - cylinders

OUCH!!! I'm assuming that they wouldn't charge me extra to bleed the system.

I'm hoping that the drums/rotors aren't really that bad and won't need to be replaced.

Check 1stsubaruparts.com for oem prices, and see if the dealer will let you bring in your own parts

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

Rotors 105

Pads 55

Drums 180

Shoes 31!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cylinders 60

Saves 300 bucks.......

http://www.all-foreign.com/ - Non oem - Free Shipping

Rotors 35 (yes for both) or 94 if you want brembo

Pads 29

Drums 133

Shoes 35

Cylinders 69

Saves 400 bucks

Yeah, I've always found Midas quotes to be ridiculous, but this one tops it.

Do you guys have Firestone garages over there East? Here we have a special that was going on; it was like $75 per axle, parts and labor! I've found them to be pricewise quite reasonable with all sorts of repairs. I think their tech's are certified too. Otherwise, there must be independent mechanics or at least a dealer with more down to earth prices.

Yep, we have firestone. They are on my s*** list.

You get what you pay for. IMHO you won't get a good brake job done for less than $200 an axle. Good brake parts tend to run at least $125 an axle, OEM or not. I feel that turning rotors is a waste of time and money.

Originally posted by 99obw

I feel that turning rotors is a waste of time and money.

Why do you feel that turning rotors is a waste? If I can get roughly 100K miles out of my rotors by turning them (legally) two times (~30K each brake job) I think that is just the opposit of wasting money. Time wise it might take an extra hour to have them turned at a local shop. Not sure where you're coming from on that one:confused:

I should have qualified that statement a little more.

I feel that (in the salt belt) turning rotors (for people that don't ride the brakes and wear brakes out quickly) is a waste of time and money.

In my experience (in WNY) the rotors aren't worth turning by the time the brake pads are worn out. That is based on brake life in the 50-90k range when using top shelf parts. The better pads wear the rotors significantly, and often there isn't enough metal left to turn. The rust on the rotor can eventually cause the rotor to split in two, so pushing a rotor to 2 brake jobs (100-180k miles) isn't a good idea for me.

I have seen that with cheap pads the rotors can be in pretty good shape when the pads wear out. In that case I might turn the rotors.