Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emission passing w/ swapped in non-egr ej22

speed_ga

Ok emissions is coming up and I have a 99 legacy sus with a 1998 EJ22 engine that doesn't have a EGR valve.

So of course my check engine light is on and I can't pass emissions with it on.

Would buying a ECU from ebay from a older legacy and swapping it be a good solution to this problem?

I also see that I could find a intake manifold that would fit and swap...but I have yet to find one with a offset bolt pattern that has a egr valve.

Third...I have contemplated installing a egr on the current engine...it has a place for it that is plugged with a plate. (not sure how much work this would be)

Anyways I would prefer just buying a different ecu...it would be easiest...but would it work?

also wanted to add. I have the intake manifold from the ej25 that has a egr valve set up on it already.

Edited by speed_ga

I'd go the ECU route.

Doing the other stuff just sounds like more of a pain.

Only concern I can see with the ECU, is if the ECU has a year/date on it, and they try and match that to the VIN records.

This is for an auto trans car correct?

Other option I suggest would be to just plug in the EGR valve from the old motor and not have it hooked up to anything. Not sure what sort of feedback loop is setup....but if there's not something checking things, you might be able to get away with that..

I'm not sure that a resistor will work, the ecu probably looks for a drop in the MAP sensor signal to reflect the vacuum leak created by opening the egr valve. It would probably throw a egr flow DTC.

With a manual transmission car, you could proably put in a older ECU and have it be fine. But with an automatic, the ECU will always be expecting the EGR system to be in place.

That's why it's recommended that you source the 2.2 out of an automatic car so that it has the EGR system.