Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cold air on passenger side! BRRRR!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rooskie

Rooskie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Idaho

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

On my 98 OBW & my in-laws '93 there is a cold air draft that comes in on the passenger side. It is up underneath the right side of the dash. What is causing this. The driver sweats while the passenger freezes! It is cold right now in Idaho & this sucks. Any solutions?

#2 Chip Hedrick

Chip Hedrick

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • New Gloucester

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:09 PM

Interesting!! My wife complains about the same thing when she's a passenger in the front of my '98 OBW. Unfortunately, though, I haven't investigated enough to come up with a solution (though I suspect it could be related to the weather stripping that wraps around the sides and underside of the door and is secured by small yellow plastic tabs that can pop out or break off).

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:27 AM

have them drive and take your glove off and feel till you find the draft. then plug it.
This is not brain surgery. Many common problems like vent flaps not closed, bad weather stripping, sometimes even the gasket between the heater body and the firewall.

#4 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,120 posts
  • WA

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:10 AM

It might even be loose duct work, or a leak there of.
Rob

#5 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:32 AM

No drafts anywhere, just cold. If we close all vents and put the heat only on, it passable, but never really warm. Only complaint about the whole car, but when it's -20 F outside IT MATTERS!

#6 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:46 AM

Hmm, I noticed the same thing too mtsmiths, on my '02 no draft just seems to be the footwells are cold, maybe the heat duct just isn't aim'ed as well as it should be? I'll have to take a look this afternoon..

#7 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:47 AM

It may not be an issue for you, but I’ve noticed problems getting comfortable in my 99 OBW just because the side dashboard vents are on all the time. This is normal by design, but it is unlike most cars where the side vents and the center vent work together. (This is actually the way all Japanese cars were back in the 70’s). I mention it only because it may be different than you are used to, and it is easy to check.

#8 telemachus

telemachus

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Boston

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:32 PM

We have the same problem with our 96 Legacy. I've been told it's leaking ductwork, but it often means that my wife and I have to seriously customize the heat settings. Anyone else have the problem?

#9 Rooskie

Rooskie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Idaho

Posted 09 February 2004 - 04:20 PM

We took an old rag and plugged the hole for a recent road trip. But it eventually starts to get cold again. And I don't get any drafts from it either. It is not around the door. It is up under the right front dash. Weather stripping doesn't seem to be the prob. So what duct work is there up in that portion of the dash? It doesn't matter if the vent is open or closed. Any suggestions??? It seems a few of us are experiencing this annoying & cold phenomenom.

#10 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 09 February 2004 - 04:30 PM

thermostats you can get?
After that I would block off the ducting that flows outside air in for the winter and just pick up interior air to reheat.
If it is really frigid you may wish to block off part of the radiator as you have seen big trucks do to get heat. The problem there is that if you forget and go on a trip, or the weather warms up you can overheat the car. If you are a temp guage watcher no problem.
SAABS and Volvos used to come with a little window blind to pull up in front of the radiator. Again the problem could be forgetting to pull it back down.
I solved this problem myself by moving from Maine to CA.

#11 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:46 PM

Just to let you know that at least it's not a design flaw. It's nice and warm in my 96 Brighton even on -30C_° mornings. I even have to turn the fan and the heat down 10-15 minutes after starting.
I just hope nothing will happen resembling what is happening to you. I'll keep reading this thread just in case...
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users