Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitch for a 91 legacy

Guest wrxsubaru

We just bout a little boat about 16 feet, and now need a car to pull it, and the legacy wagon Auto is the one to do it. Any good after market hitches. Should it be welded or bolted on?

Guest GlCraigGT

I put a Draw-tite hitch on my 94 wagon. I'm pretty happy with it, it was simple to bolt on. I only had to drill two 1/2 inch holes. It doesn't make any noise unless I leave the receiver in it.

I put a Reese Hidden Hitch on mine for the sole purpose of carrying bikes on a ball mounted bike rack. With 1 bike there's no problem but with 3 bikes the rack actually leans backwards about 10-15 deg from vertical and every time I hit a bump the whole thing bounces up and down dangerously. I have to tie a strap from the top of the rack to the top of the hatchback.

The problem seems to be caused by the thin steel where the hitch is bolted onto the car,(up behind the bumper). If you were to buy one of these hitches, it would be worthwhile to add a plate of 1/8 steel between the hitch and the car then drill the holes thru both and bolt it on.

Guest brattysvx

Is it a real heavy motor boat or just a runabout or sailboat? Anything under 1000 lbs you should be fine with your tranny the way it is provided you aren't driving up huge hills for extended periods of time. I would still consider putting a tranny cooler in to go along with it though. Shouldn't cost more than $100 or so installed. Also, make sure you don't cook the ATF.

Guest ShawnW

Flush and replace original ATF with synthetic and drain and fill front and rear differentials and put in fresh fluid there as well.

Guest wrxsubaru

right now the boat dosent have a motor, at max with the motor it should weigh about 1200 more like 1000, i am going to put a trannie cooler on it after school today. We found a hitch about 250 installed class 2. We live in seattle, but wouldent be towing over huge hills often.