Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Hitch for a 91 legacy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wrxsubaru_*

Guest_wrxsubaru_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:48 PM

We just bout a little boat about 16 feet, and now need a car to pull it, and the legacy wagon Auto is the one to do it. Any good after market hitches. Should it be welded or bolted on?

#2 Guest_GlCraigGT_*

Guest_GlCraigGT_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:26 AM

I put a Draw-tite hitch on my 94 wagon. I'm pretty happy with it, it was simple to bolt on. I only had to drill two 1/2 inch holes. It doesn't make any noise unless I leave the receiver in it.

#3 Guest_Chip_*

Guest_Chip_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:06 AM

I put a Reese Hidden Hitch on mine for the sole purpose of carrying bikes on a ball mounted bike rack. With 1 bike there's no problem but with 3 bikes the rack actually leans backwards about 10-15 deg from vertical and every time I hit a bump the whole thing bounces up and down dangerously. I have to tie a strap from the top of the rack to the top of the hatchback.
The problem seems to be caused by the thin steel where the hitch is bolted onto the car,(up behind the bumper). If you were to buy one of these hitches, it would be worthwhile to add a plate of 1/8 steel between the hitch and the car then drill the holes thru both and bolt it on.

#4 Guest_vwbuge1_*

Guest_vwbuge1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:10 AM

I wouldn't pull anything with a '91 Auto wagon. Plenty of power but bye-bye tranny.

#5 Guest_brattysvx_*

Guest_brattysvx_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:23 AM

Is it a real heavy motor boat or just a runabout or sailboat? Anything under 1000 lbs you should be fine with your tranny the way it is provided you aren't driving up huge hills for extended periods of time. I would still consider putting a tranny cooler in to go along with it though. Shouldn't cost more than $100 or so installed. Also, make sure you don't cook the ATF.

#6 Guest_ShawnW_*

Guest_ShawnW_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:30 AM

Flush and replace original ATF with synthetic and drain and fill front and rear differentials and put in fresh fluid there as well.

#7 Guest_wrxsubaru_*

Guest_wrxsubaru_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 03:32 PM

right now the boat dosent have a motor, at max with the motor it should weigh about 1200 more like 1000, i am going to put a trannie cooler on it after school today. We found a hitch about 250 installed class 2. We live in seattle, but wouldent be towing over huge hills often.

#8 Guest_lmdew_*

Guest_lmdew_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2003 - 05:41 AM

I have a drawtite hitch that will fit, in good condition with the wiring. $75 plus shippping. email Lmdew@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users