Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 99 Legacy, auto tran, developes a slight vibration after driving at highway speed for 45min or more. It happens intermittently

and goes away if I slow down or stop. I have eliminated brakes, roters, front end, and tires as all are fairly new and I have rotated the tires. It only happens after driving for at least 45min on the hwy, but not always. At low speeds, no such vibration, and the front end is tight. Any suggestions?

Just a WAG, but our outback has a vibration around 30 mph that I think is the front diff bearings. Try and wiggle the CV joint where it enters the transmission. How much does it move? What is the general condition of the axle assemblies?

well, perhaps the wheels are out of balance. oh, and is it the same section of highway? i know this may sound dumb, but perhaps certain sections of the highway are of a different texture. i recently did a 4000 mile trip in the loyale and when going across north dakota, there were certain rougher (not torn up, but just rougher texture) sections of the highway that got the rig vibratin a bit... just a thought....