Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disconnecting Front Handbrake

Hey guys,

I've got a 1989 DL Wagon, EA82 Carb 5sp DR

The 4 Wheel handbrake is handy sometimes, but for me, I just wanna have fun, (which might mean sliding the rump roast around a little :P) so I was wondering if anyone knew how to disconnect the front brakes from the handbrake mechanism without messing with the normal braking of the car or rendering the entire handbrake useless...

Any help would be appreciated.

you may think its a 4 wheel e-brake because the locked 4wd not awd , when you apply the e-brake and lock up the front it forces the rear to lock up because there is no center diff on the older cars , same goes for the VLSD center diff when you apply the rear e-brake in a EJ car you will be slowing the front wheels a little bit too , some thing to think about when you drift an EJ car so you dont under steer in to the ditch :banana: STI's open up the DCCD center diff when you use the e brake for drifty fun :grin:

If you learn how to do it right, you don't really need the rear ebrake to drift.

I preffer to have the e-brake on the front for emergency and for the fact that on a slippery slope the stopped wheels are the ones with more weight on them.

Additionally, you can seperate the two cables to each use a seperate lever for each. This allows you to lock a freespinning(unloaded) wheel and transfer power to the one on the ground still to get over obstacles. It allows a fair amount of brake steering in the mud.