Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cv axle question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gpb9900

gpb9900

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Rhode Island

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Are the left and right cv axles identical, or are they side-specific? The inner boots on both my axles are torn. I missed this when I bought the car and I dare not simply install new boots; I don't know how long they've been torn, nor to what degree they've been contaminated. I've found replacements, but they indicate specific sides. Interestingly one site only lists a right side, while another side lists only a left side. This tells me they're not the same, but I'm just not sure...

#2 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Same either side.
Front to back and Turbo to Non-turbo are the only differences.
Good luck with the swapping!

Twitch

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

All Subaru axles, except the Justy, are interchangable for left/right.

I prefer the EMPI (new) axles - find a dealer of VW aftermarket parts and have them order them for you. I pay $65 per axle.

Also - if it's only the inner's that are torn you can get replacement joints from Rockford and reboot the old axles.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users