Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Subaru's from little Iceland

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1..... good luck with that Christmas wish.

This board features good spirits and good manners. . . you honestly can't ask for more than that.

Very true, I don't really care how people type nor spell. I can mostly read everything (Unless your really rediculus with your spelling)

-Tom :)

OP - Thank you for the awesome pics and the bits of history.

I have a request. Could you find it in your heart to give English lessons to some of the members here? Your use of the language is substantially better than that of many of our American members.

WoW! I didn't see that comment before. Thank you ;) They teach us good English in grade school here. I've also been to U.S.A / NY a couple of times and we have mainly American/English TV-shows and Movies. And yeah just tell 'em madly spelling grammarians to send me a PM for some lessons, payable with PayPal and not refundable. Also Buy-me-now price offers via email @ buy-me-now-icelander-teach-english@whoohoo.awesome.com :D HAHAH

Is that EA81 wagon still running the Transaxle or is there a solid axle under it? Would be cool if it was still all Subaru powered!

I love those 4Runners they use to cross ice in the artic.

-Tom

That my dear freind is a toyota pickup not a toyota 4Runner.

• 3 weeks later...
These tires were actually just made for playing around on a frozen lake. Funniest thing was that they got better grip on the ice than you get on normal tires on dry asphalt.

I bet they gripped like a cat on a couch.

How did you make those?

Did you just run screws through a standard tire?

Or some special studding?

Twitch

• 2 months later...

I knew I would get Q about the eruptions eventually :D

It's not affecting me that much, just the part where I need to get on an airplane to night to get to the other side of the island, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get there ;) Ever though Iceland is small, it can make a BIG scandal :P

The island is sparsely populated with less than 300,000 Icelanders, 180,000 of those live in greater Reykjavik. Akureyri, the second largest town has a population of some 16,000. That means that the population density in Iceland s very low. In most areas you see farmstead every few miles, sometimes nothing for 10 miles and more. Essentially nobody lives in the central part of the island where you can find the volcanic activity. You can see many abandoned farms, where people have left the farm and moved to the city.

There are villages here and there, most are very small. Even the larger villages have only a few hundred people living there. Many people live in isolated farm steads. A lot of the farm steads have a small church with them. There are lots of different looking churches, from very small buildings with just a cross on them to larger churches with steeples.

Here are some volcanic shots my friends got ;)

4460299553_27b4c0743d_b.jpg

4471059085_282af542a9_o.jpg

4483299773_af54ee1479_o.jpg

Eldgos á Fimmvörðuhálsi

Eldgos á Fimmvörðuhálsi

After seeing your pictures me and my gf are looking into spending a few weeks in Iceland next summer, looks absolutely amazing!

Is it going to be tricky without knowing the language or is English pretty common?

English is really our other language... So don't be afraid, 90% understand English :P