Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burning wire smell inside cab

Guest alia176

Hey folks,

My wife is telling me that after a long drive she smells burning insulation smell. Yes, she knows that smell quite well vs the burning oil smell. I too smelled it a little bit. She said she has it narrowed down to the floorboard of the cab area. This smell is persistant with no HVAC fan running and the windows rolled up.

Any experience in this list regarding this? I'll look for the usual signs of burning insulation under the dash.

Thanks.

Ali

Guest PillowSplat

I'm at 15,000 on my 2003 OBW. The 1st 8000 miles had a other than burnt oil smell when I stopped the car. Nothing confirmed but I suspect some sort of undercoating near the exhaust system was the culpret. No smoke just a destinct smell. Good news is it goes away.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I just bought my first Subaru and it smells A LOT. Kinda' like hot/burned oatmeal or Cream-of-Wheat or something. Is that your smell? Is it normal or should I bug the dealership about it? Seems like it could mask other 'important' odors in a new car.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

'03 H6 3.0 OBW

Guest alia176

Dave,

That brings up an interesting point. The PO had replaced the driver side window and quite frankly, butchered up the upholstery in the process. This could be a possibility I s'pose. I'll have my wife sniff around the area to see if it's the strongest smell.

Thanks.

ali